Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

243. Win Tikka t3 copper problems

Shifty05

Looking for some reloading info. Been trying to find a consistent copper load for my tikka 243 and it’s been a nightmare with factory ammo and hand loading has helped a bit but not much. I’ve tried factory barnes 80gr ttsx, nosler etip 90gr, and fed copper 85 gr. Only one that was half way decent was the etips which would group 3 within an inch with occasional flyers but the flyers were FLYERS! Started tweaking with hand loads to find that between 80gr ttsx and 85gr tsx that it was a lost cause. Tried imr4350, superformance, and varget.
Tried playing with the lands with little to no results.
Now that being said i tried the new 80gr cx hornadys and did a 1.7in 5 shot group with reloader 15 at 3306fps average
Sounds okay but any lead factory ammo I’ve put through the gun 90 to 100grs is under an inch anyday of the week.
Anybody have a pet load or a different powder recommendation?

How much are you playing with seating depths? I've found copper bullets to be pretty picky about depth. My current load will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 2.8", but change that to 2.775 and they're over an inch. Also, what's the status of your bore? How many rounds have been through it since it got a good copper cleaning? Some bores are sensitive to copper build up.

Probably under 300 rounds
Mostly trying what nosler and barnes says to load at or .05 off lands
The last cx loads were .05 of the lands

Ditto above. I had similar results with a Sako in 243 (also 10 twist). Gave up on copper at the time for that rifle, it shot Hornady 95 SST too well to continue chasing a load for copper bullets. Hammer has a 69 AH and 70HH spec'd for a 10 twist, that's where I would start.

Probably under 300 rounds
Mostly trying what nosler and barnes says to load at or .05 off lands
The last cx loads were .05 of the lands
I think it's possible that twist is the culprit, as others have said. But, for what it's worth, I've had rifles that definitely needed copper to be scrubbed out every 100 rounds, or so to keep accuracy from suffering. EDIT: just saw your second note.

I'd also be tempted to just use the .5 off the lands rule as a starting point. Which load was most accurate there? Take that one and start trying it at other lengths (making sure you were ok from a pressure standpoint). You may find that there's an oddball length that really works.

Just looked at the hammers online didn’t realize they had sample packs that’s awesome. Gonna order the 70grs at least. Thanks guys.

I think it's possible that twist is the culprit, as others have said. But, for what it's worth, I've had rifles that definitely needed copper to be scrubbed out every 100 rounds, or so to keep accuracy from suffering. EDIT: just saw your second note.

I'd also be tempted to just use the .5 off the lands rule as a starting point. Which load was most accurate there? Take that one and start trying it at other lengths (making sure you were ok from a pressure standpoint). You may find that there's an oddball length that really works.
I’m gonna keep working with the lands for a bit. I also might try different primers at this point. Thanks

I’d go magnum primers and get off the lands. 0.050” for Barnes.

I use SuperPerformance and 85 TSX in my pre64 featherweight. Switching to magnum primers dropped group size from 1.5 to 1”.

I’d go magnum primers and get off the lands. 0.050” for Barnes.

I use SuperPerformance and 85 TSX in my pre64 featherweight. Switching to magnum primers dropped group size from 1.5 to 1”.
I use fed bench right now
Can I use the same starting load or do I need to drop it? What’s your go to amount?

I use fed bench right now
Can I use the same starting load or do I need to drop it? What’s your go to amount?
I’d drop it.

2.675 COAL and 43.7 grains of powder. CCI 250 primer.

You might want to read Barnes guidance on how far to seat off the lands. Barnes states start 0.050 off then back off further if needed. See loading guidelines.
When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off of the lands. You can test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings. Remember there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back