Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

243 Win for Yotes

GSP4EVER

So I and going to be using a 243 for coyotes this winter. I have some 55 grain Nosler Varmegeddon bullets to use. Proper choice? Possibly do too much damage to the pelt? These are ballistic tipped. Or shoud I just stick with the 75 or 85 grain bullets I have. Opinions?

they will work but might make a mess if trying to save hide. a buddy who saved hides would always use mil surplus FMJ 223's, nice clean hole in and out usually, me I want a red cloud!

What T-Bone said.. if your only shooting to 2-300 yards either choice will be fine, if your going to long range it you might want to go a little heavier to buck the wind.

I'm afraid I have to agree. One of the BEST coyote killers just not fur friendly at all.

Thanks fellas. There was a day a year or so ago when I walked to the gun cabinets and said, "I have too much stuff. I don't need all of this." So I got rid of my bolt action 223 and all of the reloading stuff for it. Maybe I should have asked this question before I did that. Maybe I should sell off the 243 and get back into the 223. Im a city boy and that range I belong to is only 200 yards. So 200-250 yards is my self defined comfort range. I feel confident that I could put rounds on target farther out, but I dont have the place to try it out. And I definitely dont want to find out shooting at an animal even if it is a coyote.

No No !
Never sell a gun!
A 243 is a wonderful and very accurate rifle. They can and will kill anything from a Prairie dog to small elk, just a very fine peace. Like I said a 243 is probably the greatest coyote/ varmint killing gun ever made, just not as fur friendly as some of the others.
If you want fur just get another 223 or better yet a 204...
:hump:

243 is not a bad fur gun. I actually prefer it when hunting in windy conditions. I like to use a heavier bullet that isn't going to open up real quick. a 100gr softpoint is a better fur bullet that a 65gr vmax. The best thing to do is learn to sew. You would be suprised at whet can be fixed with a needle and thread.

Speed is a bigger factor than the actual bullet construction when attempting to eliminate excess fur damage.. FMJs are a bad idea.

Not fur friendly, unless you download it. I used to shoot 75-grain bullets at 2300 fps for called coyotes and it worked like a champ, but they were 100 yards and under.

I have hit two yotes and one bobcat with my .243, one yote I hit near the stomach area and it blew a nice hole in it. Other I hit as it was running to the call and put a quarter size hole above the front leg and no exit. The bobcat left a nice hole =\ Still skinned it out and stuff.

I use my .243 and 100 grain Speer for fox and up to Red deer stags.
We don't sell the fur in the UK, just as well because the soft point creates a mess of the fox, but then again that is what we want, a clean shot dead fox that hasn't suffered.
It's a great round and we shoot them out to 300 yards.
Cheers
Richard

don't use the varmingedon stuff, blows everything up...I shoot HSM 98 gr berger vlds and it works great and fur friendly...shot many dogs with my .243...great gun.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back