MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

.243 manufacturers, any recommendations?

For recoil sensitive folks the 3006 is not a good choice even with light loads in my opinion.

I'll disagree with this. My daughter learned to shoot at 10 years old with reduced loads in a 30-06. I know the OP is not a reloader, so that is a moot point.
Thanks for the info. Whats the minimum grain you'd use with a .243 for a big buck?

I've shot elk with 85 grain Barnes TSX out of my .243.

Thanks for the info. Whats the minimum grain you'd use with a .243 for a big buck?

With factory, grain vs velocity often cancel out. Also bullet structure is probably more important than mass - for example FMJ is NOT ok for hunting. If you are going to shoot lead then hard to beat a 95 grain SST. If moving to copper (which I have done) then 80 grain TTSX. But any expanding hunting class bullet will do, whitetail are not that tough to kill. More important to work on range accuracy. 80 grain double lung will humanely kill better than 165 grain through the back hip.

I'll disagree with this. My daughter learned to shoot at 10 years old with reduced loads in a 30-06. I know the OP is not a reloader, so that is a moot point.

Sure, you can download with something like H4985, but you still burn a lot more powder in ‘06 case than 308 case so you pay a “powder recoil penalty” for all comparable bullet weights and velocities. If all you had was an ‘06 and could handload, you could probably load for every conceivable use case in the lower 48 states, but if you are starting from scratch looking for low recoil whitetail gun shooting factory ammo, it doesn’t seem like an optimal choice.

I've shot elk with 85 grain Barnes TSX out of my .243.

I have a 30-06 load my 7 yr old grandson can shoot. 180gr Lee cast RN with 13grs Red Dot. What's the point here? Pretty easy to get a kid or recoil sensitive person shooting pretty much anything if you hand load but sooner of later you'll probably want to move up and that's where the problem come in!

243 is a great choice especially with a bullet like the 95gr NBT or if you want lead free the hammer or TTSX.
If recoil is a factor then the 243 will be easy to shoot. The 6.5 creedmore, 260Rem or 7-08 are good choices also.
Keep in mind a good fitting rifle with a good recoil pad will be much easier to shoot also.
Another less expensive option would be a used rifle. You can find some great deals.
Checkout buds guns online for the best prices on new guns. They will ship to your local FFL also.

Here's a pack of the .30-06 125 at 2660, but I think they've been discontinued.

The .308 125 at 2675 with 9 recoil energy appear to be PERFECT on paper, but they're like $1.50 a piece.

Here, found the motherload!

Does anyone know what the situation is with the .308 low recoil ammo (RL308W1)? Its out of stock everywhere. To me, this appears to be the perfect combo for low recoil but opens up options for elk hunts in the future.

Mummel
If you want elk to be an option in the future I’d suggest 6.5 creedmore or 7-08. The recoil of both are very mild. I know you haven’t shot a rifle much but both are very mild and I’d almost guarantee you can handle it easily. The reduced recoil loads are IMO good to teach kids/beginners but wouldn’t be what I’d recommend for elk hunting.

If the ammo is hard to find, take that as a warning sign. I agree with the above, look at the 7-08 and/or 6.5 creedbro. Both great cartridges.

Here, found the motherload!

View attachment 107632

Does anyone know what the situation is with the .308 low recoil ammo (RL308W1)? Its out of stock everywhere. To me, this appears to be the perfect combo for low recoil but opens up options for elk hunts in the future.

If you have never rifle hunted before and are going to start with eastern white tails you are likely several years (and many dollars) away from hunting western elk - I would not worry about chasing theoretical future elk needs. Buy a .243 now. It’s a little like golf. You started looking for a pitching wedge to improve your short game but now are thinking about a nice new driver that you could probably learn to chip with. Keep it simple. Learn how to rifle hunt with a low recoil gun (243) now and in 2 years you will know 500% more than you do today about what you may or may not want in an elk gun.

FYI - I spoke with Remington. They have discontinued all low recoil lines except for the 30-30. Bummer.

The 243 would suit you well over a wide variety of game and terrain. I've had two Americans and the one I still own is no longer a "budget" rifle after a $200 stock upgrade and a Timney trigger. I killed a handful of deer with it before all that work though so it worked fine. It all really depends on just how much you want to spend.

The 6.5, 7-08 and 308 really don't recoil that much but if I was just going after deer only the 243 is really all you need. Out of the seven deer on my wall four were taken with 243, two with 308 and one with a 6.5.

I also factored recoil into my lone rifle purchase. I ended up with a tikka 270, SS. Looking back I wish I would have gone with the 7-08, 6.5 manbun, or 25-06. I can light load them all to wear I would prefer to shoot for deer and antelope then up them for elk. Once you work the action on a tikka it's hard to go with anything else. But dang those Begera's sure are nice. https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ergara-b-14-hunter-bolt-action-rifle/p/p42882

In all honesty, recoil felt while hunting is minimal. Put a muzzle brake on and be done with it!

In all honesty, recoil felt while hunting is minimal. Put a muzzle brake on and be done with it!
I couldn't agree with this more. Buy something with a threaded muzzle and add a quality muzzle brake that is self timing like the area 419 brake or APA little bastard brake. A muzzle brake is an absolute must in my opinion especially if you are worried about recoil. My first choice would be a tikka t3 in 6.5 creed since ammo has dropped to below .308 prices now.

In my opinion, do not jump to a brake. Learn to shoot a rifle with proper form and work your way up. Start at .22LR, then .223, then .243 and then any non-magnum. Then, if you want to shoot a magnum consider a brake. Learning to be a shooter is far more important than buying some magic lightning stick. I have seen people develop a flinch just from the muzzle blast from a brake. Learn to shoot first then worry about this other stuff.

Last edited:
My little cousin uses the hornady lite 7mm-08 120 grains. Hardly any kick she claims!
Some are affected, some aren't - but we are trying to help a user who claims it is a big concern for him - the "little girl" references don't help. I agree 243 recoil is almost non-existent, 25-06, 7mm08, 270, .308 and 30-06 are easy-peasy. But I grew up bird hunting with 12 gauge shotguns and was taught to shoot starting at .22lr and moving up. Your and my mutual manliness doesn't help a new shooter with their concerns. I've seen a small frame woman shoot a 7mmRemMag without a hitch and seen grown men of some girth flinch with a 7mm08.

Some are affected, some aren't - but we are trying to help a user who claims it is a big concern for him - the "little girl" references don't help. I agree 243 recoil is almost non-existent, 25-06, 7mm08, 270, .308 and 30-06 are easy-peasy. But I grew up bird hunting with 12 gauge shotguns and was taught to shoot starting at .22lr and moving up. Your and my mutual manliness doesn't help a new shooter with their concerns. I've seen a small frame woman shoot a 7mmRemMag without a hitch and seen grown men of some girth flinch with a 7mm08.
You misunderstood my intentions. I'm dead serious about the "little girl" statement. It was merely a comparison for the OP. I suggested the 7mm-08 earlier and saw the light round comments. I still have a box of the hornady lites in my safe.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back