.243 for elk

Well since energy is biased toward velocity, sure, it is probably more useful in comparing cartridges with roughly the same velocity.

For the record, I don't think a .243 is a better elk gun than a 7mm-08 or 30-06. But I'm not sure it is as inferior as everyone claims. I have a friend in his 50's who has killed an elk or two every year for the last few decades with a .243. He started shooting one not as a stunt, but because he was recoil sensitive. He claims his first 18 elk fell to one shot each. That was back in the 1980's.

I've decided instead of trying to make guesses based on my experience with larger calibers (for the record I killed an elk this year with a .300 Wby.) I'm going to try killing one with a .243 and make judgment after. I ordered a bunch of 95gr Partitions from shooters pro shop today.
if you take the shot,and it is over 100 yards,let us know if it broke bones,and if not how long did it take you to ketch up with it,and let us know if it was a one shot kill.:rolleyes:

How about 250 yards, quartering away, broke offside shoulder, fell over dead in about 2.6 seconds?

I stood next to a friend that shot two bulls with a .243. One was never recovered, the other I finished. I'll keep using my RUM, no need to see for myself again. mtmuley

Back in 2002, a friend and I stalked a herd of antelope and each shot a buck. I dropped mine with one shot from a 7mm Rem Mag. He killed his after 5 shots from a .270.

I don't think either of our experiences are enough to form an opinion on.

By the way, where did your friend's shots land and what bullet was he using? I'll bet next falls elk tag that he didn't stick a Partition into its chest cavity...

On the bull that wasn't recovered I can't speculate on where the shot hit. The second was a high shoulder at about 80 yards. As far as bullet, no idea. As others have said, I'm sure it works. I know enough about elk hunting to realize things aren't always perfect. In my opinion the largest cartridge and heaviest bullet a hunter can handle should be used for elk. Just my opinion. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back