Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

'22 Gear/What Worked/What Didn't

New that Worked:
Sitka Ambient hoody (I can hardly take that thing off it so good)
Benchmade Steep Country - keeps a great edge no sharpening needed
Bear Watch System bear fence - save's money over the competition, set was easy, ran good.
Montbell Downhugger - OMG I love being warm all night!

New that didn't
FL obsidian pants - paper thin, got holes in the knees the first week.
Big Agnes sleeping pad... again

I was really impressed with my new First Lite stuff. I wore the lightweight and mid base layer tops and the pants that have the vent zippers on the side. That’s all I needed to stay warm for first rifle.

My decade old smartwool socks still work.

The White Duck canvas bell tent was roomy and comfortable.

Still have two months of hunting left but those are the things I’ve liked so far.

Exo k3 pack worked well

Hoffman boots were a winner. Might be my new go to

Kuiu bino harness immediately got sent back; had a glue (or something else) stain on it and a front zippered pocket that would only open about 1/4 of the way

Hmm, as far as new stuff, I got a Benchmade meatcrafter (the regular people version) for my bday. It’s been great for butchering.

Does not work…my right ankle, which has been the size of a softball since about the last week of August. My wife says it needs rest, but I think I just haven’t hiked the problems out yet.

No gear failures this year that I recall.

The gear wasn’t really tested this year and I didn’t really have anything new. It was decent weather all season. The black stone in camp was a big hit. I need to change my cot system up so the sleeping pad doesn’t go awol in the night. I need to bite the bullet and buy a new tent.

The gear wasn’t really tested this year and I didn’t really have anything new. It was decent weather all season. The black stone in camp was a big hit. I need to change my cot system up so the sleeping pad doesn’t go awol in the night. I need to bite the bullet and buy a new tent.
What cot and sleeping pad? I’ve seen guys use those really cheap load straps to keep the pad on their cot.

I slept on a cot with pad for the first time this year with surprisingly no problems considering I’m a side sleeper and I toss and turn. Cheap Coleman cot off Amazon and insulated static v with wool blanket over top. I even used my -20 bag as an extra pad for a couple of night and just knew something was gonna hit the deck but it all stayed together.

I guess I should add that to what worked minus the bag.

Don’t buy the Browning bags that are often on sale from Midway. The foot box and sides are built for the ultra thin type people. I couldn’t even zip mine up. My Marmot 35 degree kept me warmer and I’m glad I brought it.

New gear that worked

Tikka T3X. I'm becoming a big fan. Loved the light weight and short bolt throw.

Sitka Celsius jacket. Super lightweight and warmer than I would have expected for its low bulk and weight.

Buck 110 Sport. Wife bought it for me for our anniversary. Super light, I can carry in my pocket without even noticing and s30v holds an edge well.

What didn't work for me.

Hornady eld-x 143 gr, they shoot Super groups out of the tikka, but reminded me quickly why I have pretty much switched to copper. Jacket and fragments in the shoulder.

Mystery Ranch pop up 18. Little smaller than I would prefer for a day pack. Should have gone with the 28.

My Black Diamond trekking poles finally gave up the ghost after last season (they served well and saved me numerous injuries and wear and tear). So, this year I got some pimp daddy Lekis (we carry them and I get them at cost) and added a set of the Wiser Precision quick stix pole adapters to be able to drop the bipod/tripod out of my pack.....saved me about the same about of weight as my OTHER addition.

Helinox one chair in tie-dye. Great as a camp chair and light enough that I now carry it for glass. Really happy with that too!!!

What cot and sleeping pad? I’ve seen guys use those really cheap load straps to keep the pad on their cot.

I slept on a cot with pad for the first time this year with surprisingly no problems considering I’m a side sleeper and I toss and turn. Cheap Coleman cot off Amazon and insulated static v with wool blanket over top. I even used my -20 bag as an extra pad for a couple of night and just knew something was gonna hit the deck but it all stayed together.

I guess I should add that to what worked minus the bag.

Don’t buy the Browning bags that are often on sale from Midway. The foot box and sides are built for the ultra thin type people. I couldn’t even zip mine up. My Marmot 35 degree kept me warmer and I’m glad I brought it.
I use a 3/4 length self inflating thermarest and a marmot 0 degree bag.
My cot is a cheap hand me down, but it’s really wide so I like it. I’m not sure what kind it is. I am going to try and strap my sleeping pad down with load straps.
Season is young here so far only thing that hasn't worked is summer weather for the last 14 days.
The season is still young here too. I guess I was referring to out west. I hope for negative temp days in December and January to get the big fellas up on their feet here in Iowa. That will put the gear to test.

I use a 3/4 length self inflating thermarest and a marmot 0 degree bag.
My cot is a cheap hand me down, but it’s really wide so I like it. I’m not sure what kind it is. I am going to try and strap my sleeping pad down with load straps.

The season is still young here too. I guess I was referring to out west. I hope for negative temp days in December and January to get the big fellas up on their feet here in Iowa. That will put the gear to test.
Same bring on the snow and cold. I've had enough heat.

Worked:
SKRE rain gear. I bought it on a lark and damn glad I did. Brief afternoon thunder storms are normal and I usually only carry a cheap poncho, but this year it poured 26 of the 29 days I was there. Day and night. It works much better though if I put it on before the skies open up.
Kenetreck boots. I spent most of my time wearing them because the ground was constantly wet. My feet stayed dry.
Didn't work: Most Peak Refuel meals. I bought 2 of just about every meal and brought most of them home. Their breakfast meal was especially bad. Mountain House and North Idaho meals are much better.
My 1971 Sears camp stove. If I left it open and it rained all day, it would fill with water. Go figure. Twice I had to break out my MSR emergency stove.
Finally, my patience with the sheep herder, his 5 dogs and his 500 mountain maggots that would show up an hour after I got set up in every canyon I went to.

New that didn't
FL obsidian pants - paper thin, got holes in the knees the first week.
Mine had holes after the first couple hunts too, been patching and stitching them for years. My prana stretch zions finally tore after years. Time for new pants.

Worked:

@choc dogs wall tent and baking stove have made for warm pot pie filled mid/late season nights.

My crispi Idaho 2s have been in the boot rotation for about 11 months now and they’re as light, supportive, easy to break in, and durable (so far) as advertised. I thought I was taking a gamble with these, but they’ve paid off.

Also, finally bought a jet boil. Why didn’t I get one sooner? It’s so much better than the titanium kettle/pocket rocket combo I’ve been using for over a decade.

Last edited:
Back