PEAX Equipment

‘22 gardening

I was digging through the freezer yesterday looking for something different and I found a bag of Brussels sprouts from the garden. Tossed in kosher salt and melted butter they were a delicious little treat on a cold evening watching football. I’m looking forward to beginning the garden journey again, but I still have a lot of corn and beans from last year plus a lot of canned tomatoes, salsa and spaghetti sauce.

-2 this morning so no gardening yet.

Wife and I have been going through seeds and deciding what to plant. It’s always what varieties do we like, what are we eating and what didn’t we eat last year.

This year looks like more corn, dry beans and jalapeño pepper with less squash, melons and green chiles.

Got my winter garden sparcely planted, lettuce, some onions, carrots, kale, snap peas, and some herbs. Didn't go hard this winter. But I'll be geared up for spring

Last edited:
I ordered my first round of seeds today. although it's a ways off I'm ready to get something planted. added rabbit manuer to raised beds last week.

I think I'm ditching the garden this year. Juice just isn't worth the squeeze, we have a great CSA about a mile from the house, much more enjoyable to just get a fresh box every Friday.
I’d try a csa but there aren’t any that I know of around here.

I've started ogling the seed catalogs and planning out what to get started soon...

Have a couple raspberry and blueberry plants to transplant soon too.

Hopefully the 2yr asparagus crowns I planted last spring produce enough for harvest this yr.

Got my garlic in a little late, but it’s a few inches tall and should pop when it warms up.

I think I'm ditching the garden this year. Juice just isn't worth the squeeze, we have a great CSA about a mile from the house, much more enjoyable to just get a fresh box every Friday.
Idk I think I enjoy working the garden just as much or more than reaping the benefits, but I'm a slow learner and a glutton for punishment. So your probably right.

Idk I think I enjoy working the garden just as much or more than reaping the benefits, but I'm a slow learner and a glutton for punishment. So your probably right.
I found it cut into my workout time. And while it was equally if not more enjoyable than a run or ride, my hunting suffers when I don't work out hard in the summer

Last edited:
I found it are into my workout time. And while it was equally of not more enjoyable than a run or ride, my hunting suffers when I don't work out hard in the summer
Helps me relax with a cold beer after a long day. So yes my physical shape suffers as well but I'm eating veggies the whole time so..it's a wash right😉

Really? You want to jog and your plants can't grow in the meantime?

Anyone have bees as part of your gardening?

Fascinating creatures.

Besides all the bees stuff, my garden production is much better with bees around. Pollination rates and fruit are higher. I notice a difference between when I have and don’t have a hive buzzing around.

Of course, they’re always trying to die. My hive swarmed away while I was back packing last August.

Attachments

• 473CA2C0-F4F0-46D2-8211-F9C75BF07A04.jpeg
    473CA2C0-F4F0-46D2-8211-F9C75BF07A04.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Anyone have bees as part of your gardening?

Fascinating creatures.

Besides all the bees stuff, my garden production is much better with bees around. Pollination rates and fruit are higher. I notice a difference between when I have and don’t have a hive buzzing around.

Of course, they’re always trying to die. My hive swarmed away while I was backing last August.
Been reading up on this.

Luckily the neighbor has several hives. I haven't gone down that rabbit hole yet.
My cousin loves meade enough he has several hives to support his habit.

A neighbor has hives and provides us with honey. My wife's garden flower beds have expanded to accomodate bees, birds, and others. Lucky for me, she also has expanded strawberry patches, raspberry patches, and the cool "Conestoga" tomato tents. Winter blahs have me anxiously awaiting the greenery to flourish again.

Garden Gate.jpgGarden south.jpg

Bees are a tool but great to have around. I love when I walk out and see hundreds of bees in my melons, corn, asparagus or whatever.

Attachments

• 9E49D0E2-7EE1-480D-A9FD-E066D4DE3482.jpeg
    9E49D0E2-7EE1-480D-A9FD-E066D4DE3482.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 842AE49F-2D5E-44A9-91E6-2AE5EA847AEC.jpeg
    842AE49F-2D5E-44A9-91E6-2AE5EA847AEC.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 5014A368-7B12-4967-8B72-ECF8E8F697EA.jpeg
    5014A368-7B12-4967-8B72-ECF8E8F697EA.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 2
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts