‘22 gardening

Attach0(30).jpg
Wife pulled a couple quarts of beans yesterday. Still have some lettuce, peppers, broccoli and Brussel sprouts going. We had a mild frost earlier in the week, hard frost expected tomorrow night. I'm going to pull all the peppers that are still hanging this evening.
Anybody else still have stuff going in the garden?

View attachment 244773
Wife pulled a couple quarts of beans yesterday. Still have some lettuce, peppers, broccoli and Brussel sprouts going. We had a mild frost earlier in the week, hard frost expected tomorrow night. I'm going to pull all the peppers that are still hanging this evening.
Man those beans look great.

View attachment 244773
We’ve had a few frosts but the Brussel sprouts are hanging on. I’m going to pick the last of them and be done. I picked two five gallon pales of apple this afternoon. Hopefully they are still ok.

Weather forecast has lows in the low 20s the next couple days, went and grabbed all the green amish paste tomatoes off the plants to ripen indoors. Probably close to 50 quarts worth.

No sign of frost in my area, overdue at this point. Pulled rest of potatoes today, tomatoes hanging on, lots of carrots, onions, zucc, few more cucs for a batch of refrigerator pickles. Sugar beets still in the ground, first try at them, deer mowed the tops off several times so skeptical of how much sugar they'll have after regrowing tops. Blueberries, fruit trees did great this year. Not much time for typing this year but got a few pics through the summer. Made a decent bit of jam, no pics of the peaches (and cobbler) though, our best crop of peaches yet. My wife makes awesome sour dough cobbler and muffins. Cherry clafoutis w/ amaretto was interesting, I made that one. Getting ready to start some greens indoors. Pumpkin pie on the way!

20221019_174716.jpg
20220905_180438.jpg
20220905_180926.jpg
20220831_183018.jpg
20220830_123826.jpg
20220830_123838.jpg
20220905_131437.jpg
20220718_211854.jpg20220718_211922.jpg
20220723_191722.jpg
20220723_192552.jpg

Attachments

• 20220903_104405.jpg
    20220903_104405.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Finally got around to trying the popcorn we grew last summer, almost forgot about it letting it dry. The kids were quite impressed, it's very white and more fluffy than the Orville redenbacher, wife says we need 104 ears next year.

View attachment 259717
My wife told me today she wants to try popcorn. I eat a lot of popcorn, but never thought about growing it.

Finally got around to trying the popcorn we grew last summer, almost forgot about it letting it dry. The kids were quite impressed, it's very white and more fluffy than the Orville redenbacher, wife says we need 104 ears next year.

View attachment 259717
What kind of yields did you get? 1 popcorn and movie night? 1 a week? How much do you think 104 ears will yield?

What kind of yields did you get? 1 popcorn and movie night? 1 a week? How much do you think 104 ears will yield?
It was an old pack of seeds so we threw them in a raised bed, couple rows, planted late, got dry a couple times in the summer, could have used more fertilizer probably so ears and kernels were kinda small. We got about 32 decent ears, 2 ears made a decent batch, figure we'll shoot for 50 plants next year and should get a couple good ears off each. Good for a smaller batch a week or bigger batch every couple weeks.

Oh my! This is an old post, but it's still great to see people sharing their gardening experiences. I hope everyone's gardens have continued to thrive and provide delicious harvests. Just wanted to check in and see if there have been any updates regarding the yellow leaves on calla lily? I've recently faced this issue, so I'd like to know if you guys know how to fix that. Though I've found a solution, I'd still like to know to you'd deal with that. Let's keep this thread updated, guys.

Last edited:
View attachment 244773
Phaseolus is a cool genus

You must think pretty highly of it.
Any particular reason for your User name?
I was part of a dry bean breeding team and ran the Foundation Seed Program for Colorado for 30 years. If you are eating pinto beans it’s likely that some of them came from CSU’s breeding program.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back