22 Ammo

greatwhitebuffalo

After all these years, I've never shot 22's very much. But, have a new one and was wondering if there's any difference in ammo. Or, is it all pretty much the same? Thanks

Not much difference if your just plinking, but if your serious about good .22 ammo, CCI is hard to beat. I’m guessing your not asking about the differences in .22 long, .22 long rifle, or .22 short, correct?

Plinking? Shoot whatever really.

I would second the CCI recommendation though. They are king when it comes to Rimfire ammo. Good high quality offerings, and their bulk stuff is all good and usually comparable to other brands in terms of pricing.

I’ll shoot standard velocity or mini mags for plinking. Stingers are a great varmint round.

Not much difference if your just plinking, but if your serious about good .22 ammo, CCI is hard to beat. I’m guessing your not asking about the differences in .22 long, .22 long rifle, or .22 short, correct?
Sorry, but LR. Makes sense. If I'm going to get a bunch, might as well get something that might be a little better.

cci and federal are my go to brands for competition. the differences can be amazing when you set down and really start shooting groups especially at 100 yards. lf you are just shooting at 50 yards and don't care about paper accuracy get some remington golden bullets or thunderbolts.

CCI is great for your general 22 uses. They have many great offerings.

If you are trying to squeak every last ounce of accuracy out (esp in a rifle) or getting into general rimfire competitions I would recommend you look into offerings from SK, Eley, and Lapua. They will make your rimfire shoot much better than you could expect.

After all these years, I've never shot 22's very much. But, have a new one and was wondering if there's any difference in ammo. Or, is it all pretty much the same? Thanks
Huge variation! Like all things you get what you pay for. If you want subMOA, you may get it, if the rifle will let you.

For small game, I strongly recommend subsonic hollow points (esp. Eley, google Killough Shooting Sports for best prices on all things Eley).

If you want some cheap CCI minimags and similar, I have a bunch I want to sell. Not sure how to get it to you however. (Fed Ex ground?)

Gave up on Remington rimfire ammo years ago. Tried it again a year or so ago and was still disappointed. My go-to plinking ammo is Federal Blue bulk pack in the 525ct boxes. CCI mini mag hollow point is what all my rifles get sighted in for hunting and pest control.

Grab you at least a half dozen different brands of 50 round boxes and see what your rifle likes best. One will most likely stand out over others. That has been my experience. CCIs are solid rounds though shot them for years.

I shoot lots of CCI, but I have a bunch of Federal, Winchester, and Browning ammo right now as well. In my experience if you get the cheapest stuff you'll see way more fouling and possibly issues with stovepipes in an autoloader.

My ruger 10/22 hates stingers or anything with a shoulder of any kind.

My CZs prefer Federal Automatch over many others, even CCI, Eley subsonic and Wolf. Go figure?
I never had luck with Winchester or Remington in any rimfire as far as accuracy goes. Aguila either.

Gave up on Remington rimfire ammo years ago. Tried it again a year or so ago and was still disappointed. My go-to plinking ammo is Federal Blue bulk pack in the 525ct boxes. CCI mini mag hollow point is what all my rifles get sighted in for hunting and pest control.
That is why you have to let the rifle decide. I have a Marlin 60 that will amaze you with the Remington stuff. Minute of grouse head at 50 yards plus easy.mtmuley

Are you shooting paper or critters? I'm sure Eley, etc. is great but Velocitors blow up gophers in my Cooper, and that's my motive.

Huge variation! Like all things you get what you pay for. If you want subMOA, you may get it, if the rifle will let you.

For small game, I strongly recommend subsonic hollow points (esp. Eley, google Killough Shooting Sports for best prices on all things Eley).

If you want some cheap CCI minimags and similar, I have a bunch I want to sell. Not sure how to get it to you however. (Fed Ex ground?)
I agree. I shoot some small bore competitions and also some fun matches out to 200 yards. Ammo makes all the difference. Eley match / black box isn’t cheap, but it’s shot really well for me 8n my rifles.

Higher velocity is usually detrimental to accuracy.

As others have said, if plinking, about anything will work. I will never shoot Remington golden bullets again, though. I blame them for ruining my dads Marlin 39a 8 shot when I was a kid. They are known for leading up barrels and ruining accuracy.

neil

And, drumroll.....

I actually went with the Winchester "555's"; Hollow Point 36 grain. They only had the CCI's in sort. Other options were the generic "Bucket O' Ammo" options and some higher end Browning. Yes, go elsewhere. I get it, but the next closest dealers are an hour or two away.

BentD - Open to working something out. Would be into the next month or two though.

Now, I'm intrigued by the by the prospect of a super accurate rifle (naturally, in 22 LR) for grouse and competitive type use. By all means, unleash with the commentary....

Back