Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

22-250 for antelope

idahobowhunter

Hi everyone I am new to posting long time lurker I drew an antelope tag in Wyoming this year and am considering hunting with my 22-250 any thoughts on that. I live in north Idaho not used to country where you can kick your dog and watch him run away for three days.

I have personally used the .22 high energy rifles for lopes. Don't expect many DRT shots. We have killed a semi load of antelope using .220 Swift, and the .250. No problems! Use a well constructed bullet, like Barnes in the speedster and you'll be fine.

I've shot a few with a 22-250. It works, but not my first choice.

If you use one in Wyoming you have to use 60+ grain bullets, which depending on your rifle, may be problematic. Lots of factory 22-250's have slow twists which makes it tough to stabilize a 60 grain bullet.

You could try shooting some 60's and see what happens, mine doesnt like the 60 grain partition at all. I can get 1.5-1.75 inch groups with them, but no better. I did try them out in Texas one year and killed a bunch of hogs and exotics with them. Worked OK on them, but you rarely get shots much over 150 yards there.

The antelope I've shot with it were in Montana and I used the old style 55 grain nosler solid base bullets. Those shoot really well out my rifle, .3-.5 at 100 for 5-shot groups. They held together pretty well, but I stayed off the shoulders. I think you could find yourself in a goat-rope if you hit one square in the shoulder with most of the thinner jacketed bullets.

I've shot my last antelope with a .22 centerfire. I have rifles more suitable.

Aren't the .22 caliber centerfires really prone to wind drift? That'd make me more nervous than anything for antelope hunting.

It's just like any other "will this gun work" question. Sure it will work. Is it the best choice? probably not unless it's the biggest rifle you own. I have shot antelope with a 222rem and a 22-250 but probably won't do it again. I would say if you have something bigger to use it. If you don't, use the 22-250 and make sure you have good shot angles and are less than 250 yards. Antelope are not real hard to kill, but with a marginal shot they can go a long way.

Pretty simple answer like most others stated is to use a bigger caliber unless that's all you have! Why limit yourself like others mentioned when there are a lot better rifles to use for the task!

Aren't the .22 caliber centerfires really prone to wind drift? That'd make me more nervous than anything for antelope hunting.
Depends on bullets and velocity. Some 22-250 loads will drift less than options many find more "suitable".

I wouldn't be skeered of using a 22-250 on pronghorn if that's what I wanted to use. I've shot them with a 223 and a 338 Win Mag with a few others that fall between that. Put the bullet where you want and you'll be fine.

That said, I really like my 260 Rem shooting 139gr Scenars for pronghorn and that's what I used in WY last year.

I've shot a couple within a 100 yards. I used 60grain sierras spitzers. It killed them just as good as anything else. Just wait for a broadside shot and you'll be fine.

I've killed a number of deer/lopes with a 250. Biggest issue is the blood shot, lots of hydrostatic shock turns them to jelly.

I have shot a few does with my 22-250 using Hornady 60 grain VMAX bullets. A well placed shot brings them down like they were hit with a 300 mag. I have never had a problem.

I have shot a few does with my 22-250 using Hornady 60 grain VMAX bullets. A well placed shot brings them down like they were hit with a 300 mag. I have never had a problem.

Using that explosive bullet could be problematic if you hit a shoulder with it.

If I was going to spend the money on an out-of-state hunt, I would not use a marginal caliber. The 22-250 will work as long as you use a little common sense and keep your shots reasonable close and broadside, but there are far better options.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WMNhunter09
Back