.204 ruger for headshots?

williaada

I have gotten really proficient at shooting my .204 ruger out to 300 yards. 10 rounds in a square inch.

Would you use the .204 to head shoot does in the head at 100yards or less?

Headshots are unethical...but if I could shoot like
that H3LL yah!
I shoot my air rifle out back at Quail and Eurasian doves,
I can hit them in the head every time... Sometimes ;) 💥

Not for me and I guess I’ll ask: why would you want to?

Not for me and I guess I’ll ask: why would you want to?
Just something that popped into my headed after shooting crows this afternoon.

In Michigan the bullet must be larger than .22 caliber to hunt deer so the .204 is not legal, but it does a fine job on coyotes, woodchucks, and crows Some of the coyotes are the same size as the does running around where I am hunting.

In Michigan the bullet must be larger than .22 caliber to hunt deer so the .204 is not legal, but it does a fine job on coyotes, woodchucks, and crows Some of the coyotes are the same size as the does running around where I am hunting.
If it's not legal, why are you asking about it?

Actually you are wrong about Michigan. There are no restrictions on centerfire cartridges for deer. Just for rimfire rifles. All centerfire rifles are legal for use in the unlimited rifle zones. .22 rimfire or smaller are not.

Actually know a guy who does exactly what you suggest. He's an exceptional marksman and deer hunter. As far as I know he's never lost a deer but there is always that chance. He shoots out of a tower with a very solid bench and is very particular about which deer he chooses to shoot this way. But like my dad always said "Just because you can doesn't mean you should.."

Probably going to get some bad feedback on this one….
I do it all the time, we have to “cull” many deer here at my family’s land.
Not pure hunting I know, sit in stable boxes, with sandbags, known distances.
Do not shoot w the head facing u, or “broadside”
Only looking away; no chance of jaw or nose
Used from .218 Bee, .22 Hornet, .222 on up to 300 WM
If conditions are rt, u are a good shot, I personally feel it is way more “ethical”
Than heart/lungs n watching them try to gasp for their last breath

Will throw this out there also,
I do shoot behind the shoulder on animals out West; where conditions aren’t all accounted for, if something is going to be mounted (euro/shoulder)
I do not let my grandson shoot anywhere other than behind the shoulder

Actually you are wrong about Michigan. There are no restrictions on centerfire cartridges for deer. Just for rimfire rifles. All centerfire rifles are legal for use in the unlimited rifle zones. .22 rimfire or smaller are not.

Actually know a guy who does exactly what you suggest. He's an exceptional marksman and deer hunter. As far as I know he's never lost a deer but there is always that chance. He shoots out of a tower with a very solid bench and is very particular about which deer he chooses to shoot this way. But like my dad always said "Just because you can doesn't mean you should.."

Except in the limited firearms zone, which requires a straight walled 35 caliber or higher cartridge.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

I thought the way I read the regs for the Southern Michigan zone, was that you could only use straight walled cartridges for deer hunting in the southern zone of Michigan. Because I own a AR15 cambered in .223 or 5.56 nato. I’d like to use on deer. Thank you for your time.

I thought the way I read the regs for the Southern Michigan zone, was that you could only use straight walled cartridges for deer hunting in the southern zone of Michigan. Because I own a AR15 cambered in .223 or 5.56 nato. I’d like to use on deer. Thank you for your time.
I have to reread the regs., and will get back to you.

I quantified my statement by saying in the unlimited firearm zone. There is a portion of southern Michigan that is called the limited firearm zone. There you can use only center-fire straight wall cartridge rifles with a length of 1.7" max or Shotguns and muzzleloaders..

My daughters doe this year took a good hit to both the neck and a bullet through the eye with a .243 and was still on its feet. Needed a third shot to the chest to drop it. Apparently just missed both the spine and brain.

A lot of non-lethal stuff in the head, I would (and do) stay in the upper 8-10 inches of neck, and keep it at <50 yards. skin up to blood and call it good. 22-250 pretty near takes off the whole head anyway.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back