Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023 ELR rifle build planing.

std7mag

My benchrest build is looking more like it may be completed over the winter. Simply due to waiting on parts. Still waiting on barrels. One in 250 Savage, one in 7mm-08AI.

2022 focus is a western hunt.

Which leads us to 2023.
I'm wanting to build an ELR/ULR rifle.
Thinking 7mm Rem Mag.
28-30 inch barrel with 1:7 twist.
Planning on using 180gr + bullets.

Any thoughts?

And on game or steel?

First place to start is what bullet you want to shoot, the rest follows. Good brass is a factor to me. A 7 built off the Lapua 300 win case could be good, or if not needing the extra bullet mass down range, there's lots to like about the 6.5 PRC. A braked, heavy PRC would give you better odds of spotting shots, etc.

If I’m going to be shooting 7mm 180grain+ bullets I want a little more engine behind the bullet than what a 7mm Remington can do. With the quality of brass out there now for the 28 nosler id go that route and have it throated how you want vs going with the saami throat.

7mm blaser mag gets my vote. 7 twist seems overkill but might not hurt unless you’re wanting to shoot hornady bullets and dont want them to go poof.

Thinking either the 195gr Bergers, or 197gr MatchKings.
Although the 183 or 184 is tipped from the factory.
We are talking start at 1,500-1,700 yards. Possibly go to 2 miles, maybe 3,600 yards.

Peterson is making 7mm Rem Mag brass now. Now if i could get some...

Skip the 7 mag and go bigger. I doubt you see anyone playing the elr game with it. You could do 1500-1700 easy enough with it but i would definitely go a different route if you plan on shooting further.

I think powder valley has 300 win mag lapua brass. 7mm-300 win mag. 7mm Sherman magnum would be a good one too with good brass

I don’t think a 7mm Mag is going to get you anywhere near the distances you’re talking about. You’ve got to go to a whole different level of cannon (cheytac’s etc. to get there). Your bullet would be dropping about 1 MOA/.3 Mils every 10 yards at 2000 yards, or about 20 inches. Now if you were to build a Creedmoor…

I’ve got extensive experience with the 7’s and particularly the 7rm on multiple platforms for various purposes. Nearly always when I walk out the door on a fall morning a 7rm is going along. I have shot a variety of bullets from 150-180 but always have come back to the 168 Berger’s in the RM. it’s just a solid proven performer, very consistent, and the ballistic data is pretty much memorized. I have shot a few of my 7rm’s with 168’s out to 1 mile, but even with a 20 moa rail I had to dial up max and hold about 1 mil over POA. Bullets still going 1200ish FPS at 1 mile but IMO the cartridge is really ideal for 1k fun. My custom savage .28 nosler is pushing the 195’s at 3050, it is literally boring to shoot 1k targets and I’ve brought it out to 1700. At a mile bullets still pushing 1500 FPS and still got a couple mils of elevation left with a 20 moa rail. I love that gun but make sure you get a brake, even at 11-12 lbs that thing rocks ya. The bad of any super fast 7 is barrel life, my 28 has about 350-400 rds thru it and it’s dialed so I loaded 200 rds and retired it to hunting only. My uncle roasted a barrel in his 28 in 800 rds try to “find a load”. Lol.

I'm looking at scopes with about 120 MOA adjustment. So solid base with 60 MOA, and adjustable base on top of that that goes from zero through 150 MOA.

Brake/tuner brake is a definite.

If i need more horsepower than the Rem Mag, i may just build on a Lazzeroni cartridge.

I’d argue ELR starts at 33 caliber and ends at 50 caliber. 338 Lapua as a minimum. 375 Cheytac or 416 Barrett if you’re serious.

Screen shot of the top 10 competitors in the King of Two Miles from a couple years ago:
08E4D897-004F-4501-B29C-2C3B8FA8840E.jpeg

Last edited:
I’d argue ELR starts at 33 caliber and ends at 50 caliber. 338 Lapua as a minimum. 375 Cheytac or 416 Barrett if you’re serious.

Screen shot of the top 10 competitors in the King of Two Miles from a couple years ago:
View attachment 190641

Yea the 375’s really shine In that game if your serious about it.

Yyyeeeaaahhhhhh....
I'm not a top 10 shooter...
More an experiment for me.
Kind of a proof of concept.
I really don't care what "competition" is shooting.
I'm waiting on my barrel for short range match rifle build in 250 Savage, if that gives you a clue. Lol.

Last edited:
Personally, I would want .30 or .338 caliber in a 200gr. + bullet to hold in the wind.
But, I'm not an extreme long range shooter. I keep it in the 1,000yrd and less range.
The 7mm rem mag certainly handles that. But, it will never have the bullet selection of a .30 caliber.

Ok seriously how has no one recommended the 6.5 Creedmoor yet? 🤣

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back