Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2023 dove hunting thread

Nick87

Packing up the truck now for tomorrow morning. Every thing from the dog to coolers to red ryders. Sure was a lot easier when I was younger... a gun, some shells and a bucket to sit on. Good luck guys and post some pics up here. @mtmiller try to down play the pics a little you make everyone else's camera phone look like shit 😉.

I won’t be going out tomorrow. I gotta be at work for a bit and then one last weekend of yard work awaits. I’ve been watching a few fields on my drive and I think I have a few spots picked out for next weekend!

Huge weather shift in my area. 25° temp drop over two days and rain inbound, the birds aren't moving as normal.
Dove migration patterns has been on a steady detour/ decline for quite a few years and "hunter" pressure has equally increased. Thankfully, most dove hunters don't have the wherewithal to pursue Chukkar so they seem to be thriving and expanding.

We had lots of doves around all summer but they seem to have moved on for the most part. Seeing few to none now. Not worth the effort here.

Drove to Indiana to join friends for our annual dove hunt (no season in Michigan). Yesterday's opener was a bust, they just weren't flying in our area. Hit managed government ground today. Lots of birds flying but only a small portion within range for us. Two of us ended with 9 apiece. Tomorrow will be a morning & afternoon hunt then finish up with a morning hunt Monday. I'm thankful I'll be heading home with at least one meal for my wife and I.20230902_144503.jpg

Drove to Indiana to join friends for our annual dove hunt (no season in Michigan). Yesterday's opener was a bust, they just weren't flying in our area. Hit managed government ground today. Lots of birds flying but only a small portion within range for us. Two of us ended with 9 apiece. Tomorrow will be a morning & afternoon hunt then finish up with a morning hunt Monday. I'm thankful I'll be heading home with at least one meal for my wife and I.View attachment 290524
Nice!

Went out for the last two hours of the day with my son yesterday. Not many birds were flying with a cold front and rain on the way. I shot 9 and my son got 8. This morning was overcast and about the same as yesterday. My buddy and I each shot nine.

Went out for the last two hours of the day with my son yesterday. Not many birds were flying with a cold front and rain on the way. I shot 9 and my son got 8. This morning was overcast and about the same as yesterday. My buddy and I each shot nine.
Those are still pretty solid numbers imo.

The past few years we have had quite a few of the invasive eurasian collared dove in our hunting area. Often making up three fourths of our bag, and no limit on this invasive species, we were averaging 15-25 birds a day. For some reason, this year's numbers are much lower. I shot three last night and two this morning. The photo below was from 2020.

Attachments

• 20160901_201107.jpg
    20160901_201107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
I took my kids out on friday afternoon. We had never hunted doves before. Man it’s a fun time especially if you bring your kids along. There were probably 10 guns hunting this public field and I'm sure everyone limited out.

Attachments

• IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    719.6 KB · Views: 16
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back