2023 College World Series

Some super weird calls by the boys in blue in the afternoon game. A balk that wasn't a balk, but was a pitch clock violation avoidance attempt and later a base runner pushed off the base by a diving shortstop and the runner (EVENTUALLY) called out. The review seemed to take over 5 minutes to come to a conclusion.

Sadly for myself the somewhat Cinderella story of ORU comes to an end today.
We were at this game. The quality of play in this and all of the games was excellent but the pace of play and continuous stoppage of play for mound visits and pitching changes along with the challenges and reviews was brutal. At one point I looked at my watch and we were two hours into the game and it was still the 5th inning. All of that in absolute sweltering heat. There were fans in the outfield who had to dump their water on their seats before they could sit on them. I don’t know if it’s usually that hot in Omaha in June, but if so, I would never go to an afternoon game again.

Finally, I cannot understand how the people responsible for the rules of this game can watch these games with their constant parade of coaches to the mound and then interspersed with video reviews, and think it is good for baseball. When I grew up in the 60’s baseball and boxing were the two most popular sports in America. Now i think there is less interest in baseball than soccer.

We were at this game. The quality of play in this and all of the games was excellent but the pace of play and continuous stoppage of play for mound visits and pitching changes along with the challenges and reviews was brutal. At one point I looked at my watch and we were two hours into the game and it was still the 5th inning. All of that in absolute sweltering heat. There were fans in the outfield who had to dump their water on their seats before they could sit on them. I don’t know if it’s usually that hot in Omaha in June, but if so, I would never go to an afternoon game again.
That Omaha humidity will get ya!

Finally, I cannot understand how the people responsible for the rules of this game can watch these games with their constant parade of coaches to the mound and then interspersed with video reviews, and think it is good for baseball. When I grew up in the 60’s baseball and boxing were the two most popular sports in America. Now i think there is less interest in baseball than soccer.

Yeah with the rules they sometimes take 2 steps forward to take 2 steps back. I love the pitch clock to speed things up but then they review every close play slowing things down...... Same things are going on with College wrestling and the challenge brick. Lets pass a rule for a 3 point takedown but then let the coaches throw a challenge brick to review every close takedown to slow the match down and take away the purity of the sport. Esp. when the calls get overturned about 10% of the time. Doesn't make sense to me.

and Yah those outfield seats can be hot.... it seems like there doesn't get a whole lotta breeze through there.

24-4. Good grief, someone's bats woke up over night. Prior to today, hasn't every college world series game been decided by 1 run except for a game or two?

After the grand slam, every Florida batter came up to bat looking for the next home run. Plate discipline out the window. And it worked.

LSU coach had to decide if the game was winnable at that point, or try to save arms for the deciding game tomorrow. As it turns out, the game was not winnable and he did trot out a few more (ineffective) pitchers.
I guess he is counting on the first pick in the draft (Skenes) to start and shut down the dinger swings.

Congratulations to the LSU Tigers - the 2023 MEN’S NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. 24 hits tonight. 7th National Title.

Florida and Wake Forest had great teams also. Geaux Tigers!!!

24-4. Good grief, someone's bats woke up over night. Prior to today, hasn't every college world series game been decided by 1 run except for a game or two?
Fortunately, Florida couldn't bring any of those 24 runs with them into the Monday game-Ahhh, what a difference a day makes !!! LSU Tigers National Champs!!!!

I will never get used to hearing bat ping . . .

Congrats to LSU.
Agreed, not to mention how dangerous they (bats) are. I was at a high school game this spring. A batter hit a line drive within an inch of the pitcher’s jaw and if the pitcher moved his glove at all, it was only a few inches. He had virtually no time to react. The irony was, a few innings later, a tournament official received a report of lighting in the area. The players were required to leave the field for 30 minutes. But it was announced the fans could remain in the (aluminum) stands.

The argument that colleges use aluminum bats because wood is too expensive doesn’t hold water anymore.

Agreed, not to mention how dangerous they (bats) are. I was at a high school game this spring. A batter hit a line drive within an inch of the pitcher’s jaw and if the pitcher moved his glove at all, it was only a few inches. He had virtually no time to react. The irony was, a few innings later, a tournament official received a report of lighting in the area. The players were required to leave the field for 30 minutes. But it was announced the fans could remain in the (aluminum) stands.

The argument that colleges use aluminum bats because wood is too expensive doesn’t hold water anymore.
Correct, it's all about dinger proliferation.

LSU baseball players Paul Skenes and Dylan Crews selected #1 and #2 in the MLB Draft tonight. 1st time players ever from the same university have gone first and second. Geaux LSU Tigers!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back