2023/2024 Trapping Thread

Well, I’ve been thinking we had deer setting one field off. There are deer tracks everywhere. Yesterday the chain wasn’t pulled out much. I really wondered what happened. Today the chain wasn’t pulled at all. There was also a man size boot print a few feet away.

The neighbor has a tree stand in his property near there, 50 or so yards. The tracks headed right towards it.

He is hunting the property line and doesn’t have permission for the property where we are trapping. But it would appear someone is not happy about my daughter trapping that hedgerow.

What an a hole move by the neighbor, addicting! At least you figured out the mystery of what a was setting that off.

I'm way behind this year..
Still need to wax and dye my traps this year yet..

Well, I’ve been thinking we had deer setting one field off. There are deer tracks everywhere. Yesterday the chain wasn’t pulled out much. I really wondered what happened. Today the chain wasn’t pulled at all. There was also a man size boot print a few feet away.

The neighbor has a tree stand in his property near there, 50 or so yards. The tracks headed right towards it.

He is hunting the property line and doesn’t have permission for the property where we are trapping. But it would appear someone is not happy about my daughter trapping that hedgerow.
I might make a call to the GW in this instance, what an a hole.
Can you put a "nice" note on something sticky and throw it on his stand, inform him of his illegal acts and the GW might get involved. Don't want to trespass so find a sticky way to get a note to him.

I might make a call to the GW in this instance, what an a hole.
Can you put a "nice" note on something sticky and throw it on his stand, inform him of his illegal acts and the GW might get involved. Don't want to trespass so find a sticky way to get a note to him.
I stoped by the neighbors and asked him to look out for people messing with the traps. Seeing his deer stand is on the prop line.

Let him know, That a 11 year old girl was trying to learn to trap. He replied he was frustrated we are trapping during deer season.

I get it, but honestly, it’s deer season till Jan 1. We check traps when they are not hunting. This is the week she has off school. No one else has permission for this property. So there should be minimal impact on hunters. There are fresh deer tracks in the field every day, so it’s not bothering them.

I let him know we had set a camera up and was hoping to not have a negative interaction with whoever was doing it. He let us know there is a lot of deer and it was probably that. I let him know that we had found a stick and boot prints. His demeanor got pretty agitated as the conversation went on. I hope that this conversation stops whoever is messing with her sets.

Any advice for trapping beaver with leg hold traps? We have some that have to go and no Conibears.

We start setting a few over Thanksgiving, our line will be up on the ranch we work for about an hour away. Mainly coyotes and bobcats but beavers this year too.

Quite possibly the best video to teach yourself how to foothold beavers.

Screenshot_20231123_174353_Chrome.jpg

@Addicting would it be wrong of me to hope that he tries it again and he gets caught in the trap?

Or call in the glitter bomb guy (Mark Rober YouTube channel) who was catching porch pirates red handed with booby trapped packages.

@Addicting would it be wrong of me to hope that he tries it again and he gets caught in the trap?

Or call in the glitter bomb guy (Mark Rober YouTube channel) who was catching porch pirates red handed with booby trapped packages.
I’m trying to handle it without going there. If it was him, he is a good guy and I’m sure there will be a compromise. With a new hunter/trapper watching, us adults need to be sensible.

In my wilder days I may have pulled them and replaced them with Irish springs soap bars. That scent can clear out a downwind section for a week or more. I’ve even cleaned a guys stand once with them.

If he continues, now that he knows, then call the GW and let them have talk with him.
Only an a hole would keep that up when confronted and needs to be cited for trespassing and maybe harassment.

How about some skunk scent in copious amounts on a set close to his stand ?

If he continues, now that he knows, then call the GW and let them have talk with him.
Only an a hole would keep that up when confronted and needs to be cited for trespassing and maybe harassment.

How about some skunk scent in copious amounts on a set close to his stand ?
If I ever draw that tag near you, I need to remember to be extra nice. That's worse than the bars of soap. lol

Kids break is over and traps were pulled today. 4 off target catches and at least 4 deer trips.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get a coyote or fox. The issue with the person messing with the traps stopped after the conversation with the neighbor.

Kids learned a lot and want to try again on Christmas break. They visited and talked with the 3 different land owners today and secured permission to come back and trap again.

Pretty proud of these kids.

Had a couple days off for Thanksgiving and sure enjoyed it. Pretty slow trapping but I picked up a nice muskrat yesterday.

IMG_2332.jpeg

And another muskrat and a nice mink today.

IMG_5475.jpeg

I also started working on sewing up my first fur garment, a pair of mittens for the kids. I’m mostly done. I just have to sew in the liners.

IMG_5471.jpeg

I’m still waiting for the otters to come through. I have some really good sets waiting for them.

My daughter has been wanting her own otter that she can do whatever she wants with. (She wants an otter headband.) I told her that it’s fine, but she needs to be there checking traps with me and helping out if she wants to use her own otter tags. So, she’s been tagging along and helping whenever and however she can. Yesterday their cousin also came with. He’s been watching trapping YouTube videos and was super excited to come trapping in real life.

Our first stop produced a 56# beaver.

IMG_6603.jpeg

Things weren’t looking great but, finally, on the second to last trap of the day, she got her otter, and it was a nice one.

IMG_6616.jpeg

Great catches NoWiser!

I would be interested to hear about your winter otter sets, I just got my trappers certification and would love to target them.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back