Caribou Gear Tarp

2022 Wyoming Antelope Hunt?

Ladykiller

Alright, I'm currently sitting on 3 points for Wyoming antelope and will plan on cashing them in in 2022. This is going to be a one-and-done hunt as I'm dialing back my hunting and going to concentrate on fishing instead. That being said, I've never been antelope hunting, haven't seen many, and dont know much about them. So my questions are:

1) At what age is a pronghorn antelope considered mature? I know for whitetails, it's 4.5 years old.

2) For a mature antelope, what do you typically look for in a specimen to determine it's mature and a good representation of the species? Again, I'll compare to whitetail ... mass in the antlers, 4x4 frame, belly starting to sag, and probably around 125" on antlers. I'm not looking for a trophy, just a good representation of the species as I'll probably just do a European skull mount.

3) This will most likely be a rifle hunt. What's the rut profile look like on the calendar?

4) Any recommend a taxidermist I can leave the head with for doing a european skull mount? They must do the dermestid beetles or maceration method. I hate the boiling method and have seen some sloppy workmanship by the taxidermists. They must also be willing to ship the finish product.

As far as where goes, I'll probably worry about what unit later I guess. I'll probably just have to buy the GoHunt Insider service again as I don't remember much of the units details when I had the subscription a year ago. Plus, things change over time.

Alright, I'm currently sitting on 3 points for Wyoming antelope and will plan on cashing them in in 2022. This is going to be a one-and-done hunt as I'm dialing back my hunting and going to concentrate on fishing instead. That being said, I've never been antelope hunting, haven't seen many, and dont know much about them. So my questions are:

1) At what age is a pronghorn antelope considered mature? I know for whitetails, it's 4.5 years old.

2) For a mature antelope, what do you typically look for in a specimen to determine it's mature and a good representation of the species? Again, I'll compare to whitetail ... mass in the antlers, 4x4 frame, belly starting to sag, and probably around 125" on antlers. I'm not looking for a trophy, just a good representation of the species as I'll probably just do a European skull mount.

3) This will most likely be a rifle hunt. What's the rut profile look like on the calendar?

4) Any recommend a taxidermist I can leave the head with for doing a european skull mount? They must do the dermestid beetles or maceration method. I hate the boiling method and have seen some sloppy workmanship by the taxidermists. They must also be willing to ship the finish product.

As far as where goes, I'll probably worry about what unit later I guess. I'll probably just have to buy the GoHunt Insider service again as I don't remember much of the units details when I had the subscription a year ago. Plus, things change over time.
1) 2.5 yrs
2) Black face, large black cheek mark, 13”+ horns, 6” prongs, curl on the top of the horns all contribute to the classic pronghorn buck look
3) first week of October looked like pretty much peak rut this year (where I am from in AZ it’s more like early September)
4) No, but an antelope skull is pretty easy to put in a cooler and haul home or check as baggage

For what your looking to do, with a rifle. Look for antelope, find antelope with horns twice as long as his years. Shoot antelope, cut it in pieces and take it home.

"good representation" really is location dependent. Some parts of the state 13-14 inches is good, others that's a dime a dozen. The fun part is where can you draw with 3 points.

In general, pronghorn are hard to judge, ears are about 6 inches, but when you measure you measure the curl, a long deep curl will look short from some angles. You really need to see multiple angles to be sure.

You also want prongs more than 50% up the length, and you want good mass.

After and if you get a tag then ask about taxi in that specfic area, if near me my guy does great work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back