2022 Spring Bears

My bear hunting so far.
snow-ibd-y.jpg

snow-ibd-v.jpg

snow-ibd.png

I have been driving around with bait in my truck for a week. Every time I get excited to go it snows. Like this morning woke up to new snow. me and my son will be going pretty steady. Will run baits but also some spot and stalk and probably just a few hound chases. Just to let my last hound have some fun but will need to pack up with a buddies dogs.

Half assed look for bears yesterday around Butte. Green up starting to happen, once this cold weather passes it should be game on.
Thats 12 miles from where I got mine last year! Lot of good country. Can’t wait to get out and do some camping/mining. Sapphire/Gold season is near! No bear tag for me this year, but I’ll let you know what I see, if you’d like!

Thats 12 miles from where I got mine last year! Lot of good country. Can’t wait to get out and do some camping/mining. Sapphire/Gold season is near! No bear tag for me this year, but I’ll let you know what I see, if you’d like!
That’d be great! Always good to know/talk to more people around here.

Wouldn’t mind if these two came back this spring. It’s kinda a crap shoot of bears come back year after year around here. I would really like a big coloured bear this spring.
View attachment 218703
View attachment 218704

I don't know anything about bears just curious why you don't see them year after year? Do they move on looking for food or maybe during mating season?

I don't know anything about bears just curious why you don't see them year after year? Do they move on looking for food or maybe during mating season?
Food and Mating will make a bear move, with males typically moving around farther than females, something like a 5 mile radius I think. While juveniles will travel a long way off to establish their own home ranges.. so it reads, I’m no biologist

I watch the SNOTEL website for a station just above the spot where we camp for spring bear in eastern Oregon. It was down to 42 inches of snow, and I was feeling hopeful. As of this morning it shows 59 inches. Not sure what we'll find when we get there next month. I don't know of any good options to drop down in elevation from our camp area.

QQ

I see bears every year I usually have 6-10 on bait but I don’t often have the same big bear there year after year. They just seem to be in an area one spring and another spot the next spring not sure if it’s due to previous fall food sources so they den in a differnt area or what. Of course they wonder during the rut so you hope to have a boar and sow pair in your bait. That’s your best chance to kill him. That sow will drag him into the bait during shooting light

Well the Seeley area had a little snow yesterday. It's starting to clear up with sunshine for now. The snotel on north fork of Jocko was 94 inches yesterday and at 0800 this morning it shows 115 inches. Temps in the mid 20's. Supposed to get to the low 50's later this week.
2 days ago there was a grizzly walking through downtown Augusta during a snow storm. He didn't get into any trouble and wandered up Elk creek.
Roads around here open May 1st according to the travel plan, but we have to wait for mother nature to decide if that's a good date or not.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back