Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2022 shed thread

So I had forgotten about these. I am a usual rock hound guy and pick up some odd ball items I see or usually gather a heart rock for my daughter on an extended adventure.

These guys though are wild. I am not sure what to make of em. Anyone have a guess? I need to get some books on different rocks and minerals.

They're solid, almost look like chunks of bone that are petrified. Pretty unusual looking.....

View attachment 218632

They were in small piles along a ridge top.

View attachment 218633

Admittedly my geology background isn't strong, but we have fairystones in Virginia and these look similar.

Admittedly my geology background isn't strong, but we have fairystones in Virginia and these look similar.
I'm not challenging you one bit cause you've already taught me something. When I search for fairy stones they appear smooth and roundish. Sure are cool little rocks though.

1649644383492.png

So I had forgotten about these. I am a usual rock hound guy and pick up some odd ball items I see or usually gather a heart rock for my daughter on an extended adventure.

These guys though are wild. I am not sure what to make of em. Anyone have a guess? I need to get some books on different rocks and minerals.

They're solid, almost look like chunks of bone that are petrified. Pretty unusual looking.....

View attachment 218632

View attachment 218633

If I had to guess, something in the plagioclase family. Probably a weathered albite that is twinned structured.

"Crystals are rare for the Plagioclase Feldspars, except for Albite and Oligoclase. Crystals are usually flat and bladed, and commonly in compact groupings. Also occurs as tall prismatic and short, stubby, tabular crystals. These crystals are frequently in groupings, but may also occur singly on a matrix. Crystal twins are somewhat common. Other forms include grainy, massive, columnar, rosette, and rounded. Crystals are often striated."

Lo

View attachment 218632

View attachment 218633
Looks like petrified wood at a glance but the clusters are unusual. Pretty cool

View attachment 218632

View attachment 218633
I have found some of those. They might be some form of gypsum.

I'm not challenging you one bit cause you've already taught me something. When I search for fairy stones they appear smooth and roundish. Sure are cool little rocks though.

View attachment 218640

I found some next to this state park on a work trip.

My brother is the geologist in the family so I will see what he says.

I don’t see two. Why are you here?

He found it right before dark about 5 miles from our campsite. We had to be out by the next day and had 15 miles to go from camp to the truck. Wish we would have had some time to look for the match. I might make a run back over next week, but damn it was a tough spot to get in and out of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back