2022 shed thread

Well, we just got back from Utah (Fish Lake area) after a week of hiking, fishing, and shed hunting. I gotta say, shed hunting around there is downright crazy. I figured I would hit areas that had road closures thinking that people would avoid the work it took to hike in... bad idea. Road closure signs mean nothing to the folks on quads and SxS we saw. It was kinda a bummer hiking in several miles with a 3 year old on my back only to find ATV tracks. I spent the entire week hoping to find just 1 elk shed with my wife and daughter, but the guys that ignore the rules and do whatever it takes for the 'Gram made sure they scooped up whatever may have been in the area. Oh well. We still managed to have a ton of fun camping in the new trailer! Not all the locals were bad apples. We met a fella that let us borrow his ATV for a few days (my daughter absolutely loved it). We also managed to catch a bunch of little trout and stumble across 1 real nice deer shed. All in all, a successful trip. We still have that itch to find a brown elk shed one of these days. Shoot, I had an easier time filling my very first archery bull tag than I am finding one of these dang antlers hahah.
I'll continue making this an annual trip with my family. If any other HT'ers ever wanted to join, I'd be happy show you around next year. In the meantime, if anyone has some shed trips coming up and wouldn't mind sharing camp with an easy going family of 3, let me know! My daughter really (really) needs a girlfriend that enjoys the outdoors as much as she does!
fullsizeoutput_3a58.jpegfullsizeoutput_3a54.jpegIMG_1666.JPGCm9A4B6zSNGcDESrGSvq5Q.jpg

Decided I was going to commit to learn how to shed hunt here in southern Oregon for Blacktails. After probably 8 trips with nothing I decided I needed to get far far away from the crowds. 2.5 hours of hiking to a set of meadows and I immediately started picking them up. 2 trips there resulted in 8 sheds! I don’t think the big 4 pt and 5 pt browns are a set due to slight differences. Found 120 yards apart still has me scratching my head if it’s 2 separate really big deer. Any input appreciated on those. Different coloring, brow lengths, and burrs but same mass. 65021338-20D2-4E0D-9D65-305428F40019.jpeg
9CA09FF9-288F-4CE7-A7C5-DC7E9F2D0AC6.jpeg
46962610-ED6B-425D-A497-78CCE41A3594.jpeg

Decided I was going to commit to learn how to shed hunt here in southern Oregon for Blacktails. After probably 8 trips with nothing I decided I needed to get far far away from the crowds. 2.5 hours of hiking to a set of meadows and I immediately started picking them up. 2 trips there resulted in 8 sheds! I don’t think the big 4 pt and 5 pt browns are a set due to slight differences. Found 120 yards apart still has me scratching my head if it’s 2 separate really big deer. Any input appreciated on those. Different coloring, brow lengths, and burrs but same mass. View attachment 218075
View attachment 218076
View attachment 218074
That definitely is a great blacktail and looks like a set especially if found so close together. Many times bucks will grow differently from right to left side.
Nice finds!

Took a stroll through the land of giants. I used to leave chalky whites like this now I’m just happy to find something. I think not so far in the distant future even chalky whites might be a rare find. 9B131FA4-7347-4334-9D42-8824D37320D2.jpeg

16495511173064111282948673601219.jpg

I took a stroll through the mule deer heavens last week myself. I don't think there will be a chalky white shed left. The whole countryside looked like a pool table. That's how I was able to drum up this here Lil bear skull.

I'll have to ask him about posting the pics. But my buddy found a non typicals sheds today one right side from this year and the right side from last year 60 yards apart. Won't score big but very unique buck.

So I had forgotten about these. I am a usual rock hound guy and pick up some odd ball items I see or usually gather a heart rock for my daughter on an extended adventure.

These guys though are wild. I am not sure what to make of em. Anyone have a guess? I need to get some books on different rocks and minerals.

They're solid, almost look like chunks of bone that are petrified. Pretty unusual looking.....

16496397249233900496509910058753.jpg

They were in small piles along a ridge top.

16496400563657144547387742280611.jpg

Back