Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2022 SD Trip

CPAjeff

I started hunting South Dakota as a wee teenager nearly two decades ago. I anxiously look forward to this trip every year.

10/26/2022: Drive Day
Along the route from Utah to SD, we encountered elk, antelope, mule deer, white-tails, ducks, geese, swans, cranes, turkeys, sharptails, huns, and pheasants. Judging by the number of birds seen along the roads, it’s looking like an incredible year! It’s good to be back in God’s country.

F9E49D83-492B-4125-831B-FA84C641153A.jpeg

“Dad, some kids at school were saying a 20 gauge is too small for pheasants and grouse.” Is what my son told me before we left. I snuck the 20 gauge in the vehicle with a box of shells and this was the result:

CED3E3C7-EAAD-4F09-A47B-E8B07D9AEC02.jpeg

While the sharptail numbers don’t seem as high as in years past, we sure moved a bunch of them today. They kept flushing wild so we called it a day. This evening he and I went for a little drive and found one bird out in a grain field. Luckily, this one didn’t flush wild.

Lots of birds shot with 20s every year in SD. If you think a 20 is to small you are probably shooting at the. To far away, even with a 12.

This father-son time is awesome. This is the kind of stuff that really makes me want to get more into bird and small game hunting—it just seems so much more conducive to bringing kids along and having a fun experience than big game. At least to start. Thanks for posting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back