2022 Montana Moose - 312

BrowningBLR

Summer: Once I found out that I had drawn the tag, I spent every Thursday scouting. I deployed 11 different trail cameras. A lot of moose on my cameras and I saw a lot of moose while hiking. Looking back, it would have been tough to get a moose out from where I had some of these cameras. I also stopped by multiple ranches asking for permission – some gave me permission, some did not. I saw a lot of smaller bulls during the summer and caught a few glimpses of what looked like a good bull on private property that I could not hunt.

Hunting Season: I spent 16 days moose hunting. Since it was so hot, some days were just a few hours in the morning and a couple hours right before dark. I found a lot of cows and small bulls. I kept getting a glance of big bull on inaccessible private land – He had 5 cows and was inaccessible. Late September, I spent a day “moose hunting” that actually turned into me glassing up a small 6 point, having everything work out, and me spending the “moose hunting day” packing out my bull elk. I also spent 4 days in Idaho trying to give my controlled hunt tag justice. After an encounter with a small 5 point – but having snow and fog settle in to spoil my stalk - I couldn’t find an elk to save my life! I was going to spend another 2 days elk hunting but I had 3 wolves respond to an evening bugle. So I decided to pack up camp in the middle of night and drive 5 hours to go moose hunting.

At first light, I saw the big bull that I had seen all summer and early hunting season. Still with his 5 cows. He was more in the open and about 200 yards from where I did have access. I snuck through the willows and starting cow calling to him. I called for about 15 seconds. He was immediately interested, shook his head a few times, and I heard “whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa”. Before I knew it, he had jumped a fence, crossed the road, and jumped another fence and walking in front of me, broadside at 65 yards. I made one shot and it was all over. I am extremely grateful and blessed to have had the opportunity after drawing the tag and humbled to have harvested such a great moose!! Not that the scoring of animals matters to me but Fred King gave it an “official green score” of 149 4/8”.

Attachments

• 6322555C-C6A5-4D1E-84F3-F3B8828A4F7B.jpeg
    6322555C-C6A5-4D1E-84F3-F3B8828A4F7B.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 246
  • 54C6AF4F-B9B4-4184-B6D7-0E3C5FCEE92B.jpeg
    54C6AF4F-B9B4-4184-B6D7-0E3C5FCEE92B.jpeg
    444.1 KB · Views: 254
  • 970B2220-E218-4F6E-B890-520F29062F4A.jpeg
    970B2220-E218-4F6E-B890-520F29062F4A.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 249
  • FCE25EDF-90DF-4B37-AE45-230D0BDA422E.jpeg
    FCE25EDF-90DF-4B37-AE45-230D0BDA422E.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 331373A5-0296-47A2-8292-A14ABEEE32FC.jpeg
    331373A5-0296-47A2-8292-A14ABEEE32FC.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 248
Summer: Once I found out that I had drawn the tag, I spent every Thursday scouting. I deployed 11 different trail cameras. A lot of moose on my cameras and I saw a lot of moose while hiking. Looking back, it would have been tough to get a moose out from where I had some of these cameras. I also stopped by multiple ranches asking for permission – some gave me permission, some did not. I saw a lot of smaller bulls during the summer and caught a few glimpses of what looked like a good bull on private property that I could not hunt.

Hunting Season: I spent 16 days moose hunting. Since it was so hot, some days were just a few hours in the morning and a couple hours right before dark. I found a lot of cows and small bulls. I kept getting a glance of big bull on inaccessible private land – He had 5 cows and was inaccessible. Late September, I spent a day “moose hunting” that actually turned into me glassing up a small 6 point, having everything work out, and me spending the “moose hunting day” packing out my bull elk. I also spent 4 days in Idaho trying to give my controlled hunt tag justice. After an encounter with a small 5 point – but having snow and fog settle in to spoil my stalk - I couldn’t find an elk to save my life! I was going to spend another 2 days elk hunting but I had 3 wolves respond to an evening bugle. So I decided to pack up camp in the middle of night and drive 5 hours to go moose hunting.

At first light, I saw the big bull that I had seen all summer and early hunting season. Still with his 5 cows. He was more in the open and about 200 yards from where I did have access. I snuck through the willows and starting cow calling to him. I called for about 15 seconds. He was immediately interested, shook his head a few times, and I heard “whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa”. Before I knew it, he had jumped a fence, crossed the road, and jumped another fence and walking in front of me, broadside at 65 yards. I made one shot and it was all over. I am extremely grateful and blessed to have had the opportunity after drawing the tag and humbled to have harvested such a great moose!! Not that the scoring of animals matters to me but Fred King gave it an “official green score” of 149 4/8”.
Nicely done. Calling in moose is something you need to practice since is different than bull elk, imo. More of a beef cow sound. In any event, you got that bull ready to mingle!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back