MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2022 California Bear

David Gough

Let’s get this post started! After the fires ruined my bear hunting plans last year, we retrieved what was left of our trail cameras. Two disintegrated, one melted, one had the card swiped, but one had a gold mine of bears, deer, and some surprises.

Post your scouting efforts and don’t forget to pick up those bear tags!

IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0849.jpgIMG_0848.jpgIMG_0844.jpgIMG_0843.jpg

Here are a few pictures from last year. Plenty of bears and some nice bucks showed up.

I still have some cameras in one of the burns I haven't been able to check yet. I'm hoping for the best, but feel like I will have similar results as you unfortunately. Good looking bear in that 4th picture!

I still have some cameras in one of the burns I haven't been able to check yet. I'm hoping for the best, but feel like I will have similar results as you unfortunately. Good looking bear in that 4th picture!
He's a tank. That picture is from this spring. He was all over the camera in 2021 and have pictures and videos of him from three seasons prior to that. Definitely his home turf and my #1.

I was a little surprised at the lock melting, but just shows how hot it was in there. The manzanita is already coming back. If we get some summer rains that place should be crawling with bears.

I hate to bring this up in your thread of beautiful bear pictures, but what is happening with the tree huggers trying to cancel the California bear hunt altogether? Will you have a bear hunt in 2022?

Last I heard the bear ban got put to rest again, bear seasons abound! I'm hopeful with the amount of surplus we're seeing and lack of meeting harvest quota the last several years maybe introducing a spring season of only the balance of the quota can become a reality

Last I heard the bear ban got put to rest again, bear seasons abound! I'm hopeful with the amount of surplus we're seeing and lack of meeting harvest quota the last several years maybe introducing a spring season of only the balance of the quota can become a reality
We can only hope!

Went on a scouting trip this weekend for bears and deer. Found this sow munching on green manzanita berries when the thunderstorm moved through. Will post some trail camera footage later. Had to freehand video through binoculars, although she came within 80 yards at one point.

How's everyone else's bear scouting going?

bear 1.pngbear 2.pngbear 3.png

I don't usually have a problem finding bears during the off season down here in Southern California, especially where I live in apple country. It's when season opens I can't find a bear to save my life. Still looking for that first bear harvest...

I don't usually have a problem finding bears during the off season down here in Southern California, especially where I live in apple country. It's when season opens I can't find a bear to save my life. Still looking for that first bear harvest...
Is it the hunting pressure or does water dry up?

Is it the hunting pressure or does water dry up?
Not a ton of bear hunters in the field, but a lot of deer hunters during bear season.
It gets really dry, and it seems that they go into the thick, nasty stuff. It also seems that the warm weather makes them much more active during non-shooting hours. Or maybe it's just that I don't know what I'm doing and haven't figured them out yet haha. I spend so much time focusing on my deer and elk hunts that the bear stuff gets the scraps.

Not a ton of bear hunters in the field, but a lot of deer hunters during bear season.
It gets really dry, and it seems that they go into the thick, nasty stuff. It also seems that the warm weather makes them much more active during non-shooting hours. Or maybe it's just that I don't know what I'm doing and haven't figured them out yet haha. I spend so much time focusing on my deer and elk hunts that the bear stuff gets the scraps.
When it's hot out if you find the water, the bears eventually have to come to it. They like something to cool off in. I see some go nocturnal, but a lot of they time they cruise in on a ninety degree day at noon and take a swim.

A handful of screenshots from one of our trail cameras. I believe there are at least three different cinnamon phase bears using that waterhole currently. Interesting to not see many deer or sows with cubs on camera yet. Very little activity at night. A lot of the usage is mid day or in the evening.

Third picture is a sow trying to grab a mallard hen.

bear1.jpgbear 2.jpgbear 3.jpgbear 4.jpg

Back