2021 Spring Turkey hunting

Awesome! I know it’s possible but I’ve never been in a situation to call a turkey across a river. Maybe that will be my goal this season!?
The first moose I called in came across a river and we were set up about 15 yards from the bank when he came out of the river!
That must have been memorable!

Always set up within gun range of a known fence or a creek and learn to shoot left handed.

That was told to me at a young age by a guy who has killed more turkeys than many will in 5 lifetimes.

That advice has served me well over the years.

Season in GA starts next weekend. Hopefully in the future they adjust the season to start 2 weeks later. Our poult recruitment is horrible right now.

Always set up within gun range of a known fence or a creek and learn to shoot left handed.

That was told to me at a young age by a guy who has killed more turkeys than many will in 5 lifetimes.

That advice has served me well over the years.

Season in GA starts next weekend. Hopefully in the future they adjust the season to start 2 weeks later. Our poult recruitment is horrible right now.
I have shot several turkeys off handed!
The population in my immediate hunting area is good, but they say numbers are going down or staying stagnant state wide. We need trappers to take care of those pesky nest predators!

Went out yesterday to do some glassing. Didn't want to get too vocal yet. Found tracks where I expected to, so it looks like they are sticking to their patterns. At least until I'm in the woods with a shotgun.View attachment 176997
I’ve noticed over the years of keeping notes during scouting that the turkeys seem to be in the same general area year after year but they switch roost trees every 2-3 days and there may be a couple hundred yards or up to a half mile between roost trees.

I’ve noticed over the years of keeping notes during scouting that the turkeys seem to be in the same general area year after year but they switch roost trees every 2-3 days and there may be a couple hundred yards or up to a half mile between roost trees.
That definitely tracks. These birds seem to roost on every mountainside, bouncing between at least 4 roosting locations I've found. They seem to like the steep and nasty

That definitely tracks. These birds seem to roost on every mountainside, bouncing between at least 4 roosting locations I've found. They seem to like the steep and nasty
One area they roost here frequently is right where the bluff drops down to the Mississippi River. It’s probably 400 feet close to vertical. They pick oak trees that the limbs hang over the edge. I accidentally spooked them off the roost once and it’s like they just roll off the limb and extend their wings. They catch the wind and glide to the bottom.

One area they roost here frequently is right where the bluff drops down to the Mississippi River. It’s probably 400 feet close to vertical. They pick oak trees that the limbs hang over the edge. I accidentally spooked them off the roost once and it’s like they just roll off the limb and extend their wings. They catch the wind and glide to the bottom.
That sounds a lot like my scenario.. For relatively dorky birds, they sure can be majestic. Have you ever hunted them in MT?

These are the best pictures I got. I did the fan mount myself. I think it turned out pretty good. Longest hair was 10” and the spur that wasn’t broke was 1.5”. I’m happy with him.

Attachments

• F7CEED57-D327-4F68-ADDF-B3BEBD040560.jpeg
    F7CEED57-D327-4F68-ADDF-B3BEBD040560.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 727B2707-357C-407D-ADEE-888422BB8D6C.jpeg
    727B2707-357C-407D-ADEE-888422BB8D6C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

I hunted NE Iowa for a few years. The birds on the farm I hunted always roosted just off the tops of the bluffs or hills. They would approach on the ridge tops in the evening, then just fly parallel to their roost tree. My favorite place to hunt turkeys.

These are the best pictures I got. I did the fan mount myself. I think it turned out pretty good. Longest hair was 10” and the spur that wasn’t broke was 1.5”. I’m happy with him.
Looks great! I just dry the fan, beard, and the leg with the longest spur. I stack them together and than unceremoniously drive a long nail through all of them to hold them on them garage wall. I write the year underneath them. I think I could recall the hunt for each one. The leg I don’t tack on the wall I have been sending to Iowa State University. They are doing a study on turkeys and request 1 leg from a turkey you harvest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back