Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

2021 Mule Deer

Hey All, just circling back to keep the convo going, give updates, and of course ask more questions.

We have narrowed in and decided on a WY rifle hunt. Thank you to all who provided feedback. You were very instrumental in that decision.

We are now at the unit picking stage. As a party we can go in on a group app with 2pts. According to gohunt and WFGD, we can draw about any general unit and several limited units.

I know that not everything that glitters is gold; however I’m having a hard time not believing that a unit that takes 2pts and the NR Special draw, wouldn’t be better than a general unit that is also OTC for residents.

I want to be careful naming specific units publicly because I don’t want to blow up anyone’s spot (happy to discuss vis private message though). However, I’m looking at a unit that takes 2pts and the special NR draw that only issues around 500 tags for the entire unit. Downside is it’s only about 20% public. I’m having a hard time convincing myself that despite the low public land numbers that it wouldn’t be a better hunt than a similar sized unit with 60-80% public land but 2000-3000 hunters. Particularly when they have similar trophy potential and success rates.

I realize these are somewhat vague, but again I’m not trying to mess up anyone’s hunt.

A little off topic but any advise on Region 3 hunting for Whitetail and Elk B-Licenses? I've never been to Montana and I will be traveling from Louisiana.

I've narrowed my choices down based off license availability but that's still pretty broad. I currently am looking at Units:
300 (elk)
302 (elk)
311 (deer and elk)
312 (deer and elk)
320 (deer and elk)
322 (deer and elk)
323 (elk)
324 (deer and elk)
325 (deer and elk)
326 (deer and elk)
327 (elk)
328 (elk)
329 (elk)
330 (deer and elk)
331 (elk)
332 (elk)
333 (deer)
340 (deer)
360 (deer)

I'd never ask for a honey hole, but could someone give me some advise on where to narrow down my search too. We'd like to tent camp to cut down on travel time and to just enjoy the experience.

Anyone know about resident over the counter doe tags per district in Montana? Trying to find out where I can get a couple.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back