Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2021 California Bear

David Gough

Getting this thread started early in hoping to encourage others to pick up a bear tag this fall in California.

Just spent a day scouting and setting cameras on the east slope. All of the fresh sign was near water sources. With how dry it is I think water will be king this year.

Report how your efforts are going with scouting and hunting. I'll post pictures and video after I check cameras in a month.

Last edited:
Picked up a tag last year. Never saw one, but the local radio reported a car accident because someone swerved a bear on the road the night before I was leaving. Will pick up another tag this year just in case.

I see more bears in California than I do deer.
Driving during daylight this has been the same for me. I usually see more bear than legal bucks. I've spent a lot of time in the Mendocino Forest and the Plumas. There is no lack of bears, will be interesting to see if behavior changes greatly with drought and fires. I'll check back in on this thread as the season gets closer. I'm not one to give up spots but will share GPS of any bear I see.

Driving during daylight this has been the same for me. I usually see more bear than legal bucks. I've spent a lot of time in the Mendocino Forest and the Plumas. There is no lack of bears, will be interesting to see if behavior changes greatly with drought and fires. I'll check back in on this thread as the season gets closer. I'm not one to give up spots but will share GPS of any bear I see.
There's a few spots I'm scouting. If this summer is like the last one the manzanita berries wont really have come in during archery season and the bears will stick close to water.

I remember seeing bears around the loon lake area every time I would drive through there to get to the Rubicon.

Just cleared 4 days of my schedule in early July....now I can't decide what to do. Hunt the A zone opener, or go scout the Sierra....if the Sierra do info west or east. So many decisions. Have a spot in El Dorado I'd like to drop some cams, but would also like to drop some in Mono.

Just cleared 4 days of my schedule in early July....now I can't decide what to do. Hunt the A zone opener, or go scout the Sierra....if the Sierra do info west or east. So many decisions. Have a spot in El Dorado I'd like to drop some cams, but would also like to drop some in Mono.
@Non-Lead Hunter and I put up cameras on the eastern slope in an area earlier this month. Have two more areas to check on and see what type of bear activity is there.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back