2021 California Bear

I picked up a d7 tag to go along with my usual A zone tag. I'm tempted to just buy a bear tag strictly for the chance of a random opportunity while still looking for my first buck.
Definitely pickup a bear tag if your going to be hunting especially in D7. I always pickup a bear tag. Figure it’s my yearly donation to CA DFG.
Many people don’t consider it but bears are extremely hard on newborn fawns.

Just cleared 4 days of my schedule in early July....now I can't decide what to do. Hunt the A zone opener, or go scout the Sierra....if the Sierra do info west or east. So many decisions. Have a spot in El Dorado I'd like to drop some cams, but would also like to drop some in Mono.
Four days is a long time to scout when you could be hunting. Bear movements can change between the time you scout and hunt, depending on food and water availability. I used to scout hard prior to the opener, but bears know when you’ve been in their territory, and I’d prefer the first time they sense my presence is when I let loose an arrow. Either way, stay hydrated and enjoy God’s creation.

The fire kicked back up and five cameras are only about 600 yards from the fire. If the fire doesn't reach them I wonder if the bears will stick around.

Current fire maps on OnX and Inciweb show the fire burned through our trail cameras and main hunting area. Going to have to extend my scouting. What are you guys looking for on the west slope? Bears close to chokecherry/blueberry patches?

Scouted an area I've seen bears in the past. Setup cameras on some pools of water we found, but the most interesting find was some of the manzanita bushes already had full size berries on them, although not ripe. Anyone else seeing berries coming in? Seems early.

Tamarack fire is putting a damper on my go to grounds, not sure how the fire pushes or concentrates animals but I would imagine they would stay in the Sierras vs pushing towards nevada?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1628798480429.jpg
    FB_IMG_1628798480429.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 4
Yeah, friend drew a NE Calif bull tag after 18 years, he has until Sept 12th to turn it back in and reestablish his points. Decisions....

I’ve only been big game hunting for a few years but it seems these closures are going to be a regular occurrence each season

Unfortunately this is going to be the case. There is a bunch of money on the table and work lined up, but it's going to take years to get us off the extreme. Fingers crossed here, but it does seem the closures are a bit more targeted so far, but we're at PL5 and stretched too thin and I could see broader closures taking place.

The Caldor fire could get real, real ugly today if winds from the west open up.Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 7.15.49 AM.png

As the tamarack fire up in X8 zone just wound down another popped up in canyon near pipi Valley along 88. Not sure if that's the caldor fire you're referring to but I just got word of it through a buddy that said it popped up there. Going to hell in a hand basket quickly

As the tamarack fire up in X8 zone just wound down another popped up in canyon near pipi Valley along 88. Not sure if that's the caldor fire you're referring to but I just got word of it through a buddy that said it popped up there. Going to hell in a hand basket quickly
Pipi campground is right about the "8N58" bottom center, I can't see them holding it as it races up the Middle Fork.

Pipi campground is right about the "8N58" bottom center, I can't see them holding it as it races up the Middle Fork.
Not with the winds they're expecting. It's a shame. I usually meander around mokulmne wilderness near blue lakes for my hunting grounds. But this year going to try D6 a couple times as I've got an AO tag that allows some more freedom to go as I please. Looking to go into lily lake near Pinecrest and hike southeast from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back