2021 AZ Coues

junior88

Well I was able to tag my best Coues to date. The hunt started out kind of slow. Couple of small bucks and a pile of does. 5th day of the hunt we decided to hunt a spot where my son knew there were good bucks, but we would have to earn it.

We would climb 900 vertical feet from camp just to glass the 1500-2000 feet above us. There were a group of bucks, including a very big one. They were out of range as we watched them go over the top of the mountain. We decided to stay on our ridge and wait for the bucks to come back over.

Around 4pm my son spotted a buck in his bed. Not our big boy, but a buck we weren’t going to let get away. The shot was 570 yards across a canyon. I know these are small deer but this was a brutal pack out. The canyon was very steep. A lot of soil erosion from a past fire made every step an adventure. Loose soil, loose rocks, deadfall. Shot deer at 4:30p, made it back to camp at 11:15p. Poor man’s sheep huntingFDC1F06D-7C2A-4BD5-8379-CBA7A0D51A50.jpeg268F5AE6-486A-4CDA-ABAF-33FF9A46E446.jpegD619FCE0-0C52-472A-BD06-B4536FE0307D.jpeg31F5638C-97EE-455B-92D0-414471D20DC1.jpeg

Dandy buck, good shooting too
I would love to take credit for the shooting, but it's the rifle. I used my son's custom 7mm mag with a Nightforce scope on it. Was able to shoot from prone with a bipod. Rock solid rest. Buck was in his bed chewing his cud, quartering away. I held center mass, knowing the bullet would hit lungs. Actually retrieved the bullet when we removed the left shoulder

I would love to take credit for the shooting, but it's the rifle. I used my son's custom 7mm mag with a Nightforce scope on it. Was able to shoot from prone with a bipod. Rock solid rest. Buck was in his bed chewing his cud, quartering away. I held center mass, knowing the bullet would hit lungs. Actually retrieved the bullet when we removed the left shoulder
04B5CB70-5087-41D3-B728-F122013BAB21.jpeg

Ya that's the problem though. Too many people think they can just spend a pile of money on a tackdriver w turrets and game will drop on command. Not the case. Practice practice practice so that the operator can live up to the responsibility of toting a tackdriver with turrets around in the hills. Lots of folks should park the expensive toy and pick back up a .30-06 with a Tasco where the limits are a bit more obvious.

Again, congrats and great shooting.

Well I was able to tag my best Coues to date. The hunt started out kind of slow. Couple of small bucks and a pile of does. 5th day of the hunt we decided to hunt a spot where my son knew there were good bucks, but we would have to earn it.

We would climb 900 vertical feet from camp just to glass the 1500-2000 feet above us. There were a group of bucks, including a very big one. They were out of range as we watched them go over the top of the mountain. We decided to stay on our ridge and wait for the bucks to come back over.

Around 4pm my son spotted a buck in his bed. Not our big boy, but a buck we weren’t going to let get away. The shot was 570 yards across a canyon. I know these are small deer but this was a brutal pack out. The canyon was very steep. A lot of soil erosion from a past fire made every step an adventure. Loose soil, loose rocks, deadfall. Shot deer at 4:30p, made it back to camp at 11:15p. Poor man’s sheep huntingView attachment 204450View attachment 204451View attachment 204452View attachment 204453
Very nice deer, hope to do that someday

Nice...

Been Mearns Quail hunting near Nogales several times - Saw deer and 1 nice 4 pt. A coues deer hunt is on my bucket list.

It’s well worth it. Like I said earlier the tags are becoming harder to draw. They’re good eatin’ too

I think this may be the one thing I am actually ahead of the curve on points for.

I really want to spend a week wandering around on that landscape looking for deer.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back