Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2021-2022 NV Big Game Guide

Lucky_Lep

What are the early thoughts/impressions on this season's Big Game guide?

If I am reading it correctly, it seems like there are a lot of new hunts. How do you interpret that? Is this a sign of strong herd numbers from the preliminary survey data?

Last edited:
I'll start reading during my next BM. Probably early tomorrow morning if past history is an indicator.

Probably an indication that they want to sell more tags. Drought conditions can't be good for herd health.

I don’t have a hard copy of the book in front of me, I’ll get online And check it out. What new hunts are you talking about?

I don’t have a hard copy of the book in front of me, I’ll get online And check it out. What new hunts are you talking about?
I could be totally reading this wrong, so take this for what it's worth.

For Residents, it looks like there are all kinds of new ALW, Archery & Muzzel hunts in some new zones, and some zones that now have 2 or 3 seasons.

Antelope - 24 (mostly Muzzel)
Elk - 26 (mostly spike)
Deer - 1

There are also some new sheep and goat hunts.

There are also some new sheep and goat hunts.
I assume that by goat you mean antelope?
As far as mtn. goat, it's the same 3 areas as always. I'm sitting with 15 preference points for those and 15 for desert bighorn.
I hope this will be the lucky year because the clock seems to be ticking faster every year. 💀

As far as mtn. goat, it's the same 3 areas as always. I'm sitting with 15 preference points for those and 15 for desert bighorn.
I hope this will be the lucky year because the clock seems to be ticking faster every year. 💀
I have my fingers crossed for you! Hope you get your dream hunt(s)!

I don't know why I included goat, 🤦‍♂️ total fumble on my part.

Does anyone know if I can buy a license for my 11 year old daughter and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday in November? If not I will give them a call, I couldn't find it in the book.

Does anyone know if I can buy a license for my 11 year old daughter and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday in November? If not I will give them a call, I couldn't find it in the book.
I think it is on pgs. 20 & 36. Youth need to be 12 by the time the season applied for opens. So I think if her 12th Bday, for example, is in July, and the hunt applied for is in November, then she can apply.

Good luck!

Good luck!

I noticed all the new hunts too. I’m taking that as a good omen!

I know that 2017 was pretty wonderfully wet and I think calf and fawn recruitment in the last few years has shown it. It’s crazy weird this year because here in Elko at least it’s been bone dry at low elevations but most the mountains surrounding this area are 85% or better on snow pack. The ranches will fix that with the additional irrigation needs. But I have seen a lot more antelope the last few years especially those 140 units between Carlin and Eureka. I think with them adding muzzleloader hunts they’re accounting for low harvest percentage. Now if they added 24 rifle season tags that would be far more indication of population reduction or extreme heard health. This I feel is just a way of creating a few more opportunities without being detrimental. If NV had 5 wet years I think the increase would be crazy 😜 people wouldn’t no how to behave having 10% odds or better for rifle with three points lol.

I know that 2017 was pretty wonderfully wet and I think calf and fawn recruitment in the last few years has shown it. It’s crazy weird this year because here in Elko at least it’s been bone dry at low elevations but most the mountains surrounding this area are 85% or better on snow pack. The ranches will fix that with the additional irrigation needs. But I have seen a lot more antelope the last few years especially those 140 units between Carlin and Eureka. I think with them adding muzzleloader hunts they’re accounting for low harvest percentage. Now if they added 24 rifle season tags that would be far more indication of population reduction or extreme heard health. This I feel is just a way of creating a few more opportunities without being detrimental. If NV had 5 wet years I think the increase would be crazy 😜 people wouldn’t no how to behave having 10% odds or better for rifle with three points lol.
Hope that 5 year flood starts soon! And not just for hunting aspects!

Hey guys was wondering does anyone know when they ship resident tags is it after the secondary draw? This is mule deer I’m talking about. I can’t seem to find it in the big game hunting book.

Hey guys was wondering does anyone know when they ship resident tags is it after the secondary draw? This is mule deer I’m talking about. I can’t seem to find it in the big game hunting book.
Don't know. I also went o'ffer on apps this year. :( So, I am not too worried about when they ship the tags out. ;)

On the plus side, I did get my OTC Elk/Deer in ID. So at least I'll be out there once this year. 🎉🤙

Don't know. I also went o'ffer on apps this year. :( So, I am not too worried about when they ship the tags out. ;)

On the plus side, I did get my OTC Elk/Deer in ID. So at least I'll be out there once this year. 🎉🤙
Ya sorry man that sux but I found out as the post office notification app my ol’ lady has told her my tag is in my mailbox today 👍🏻

Ill be a new Nevada hunter in the 2023 season. What are good places to look into for deer and for elk

Back