Caribou Gear Tarp

2020 SD Non resident deer tag

Deano27

Hi all,

I need some help. I am from Iowa and usually hunt early muzzle loader season, however my dad moved to South Dakota and would like me to come there for the 2020 deer season. It would be East river Bon Homme county. I tried calling the DNR Pierre office but couldn't get any straight answers if I can get a non resident tag or not. Does anyone know how his works and when I would need to apply for non resident and costs? I am a meat hunter so getting a doe only tag would be just fine with me.

TIA

Non residents can not get east river tags in the draw. They can pick up any left over tags after the 4th draw. Usually about zero of them left.

Just checked draw results. All tags for Bon Homme Co. went to residents in the first draw year. Even doe tags.

(edited to update)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I need some help. I am from Iowa and usually hunt early muzzle loader season, however my dad moved to South Dakota and would like me to come there for the 2020 deer season. It would be East river Bon Homme county. I tried calling the DNR Pierre office but couldn't get any straight answers if I can get a non resident tag or not. Does anyone know how his works and when I would need to apply for non resident and costs? I am a meat hunter so getting a doe only tag would be just fine with me.

TIA
Couple things, yes Wild Bill is correct that Non residents will never be able to get a SD east river tag. West river is your only hope as a non resident.

Also in the future, for any questions related to wildlife you're going to want to get a hold of the GFP (game fish and parks). Not sure who you got a hold of at DNR since we don't have one. Either you talked to the GFP or you talked to DENR which doesn't deal with tags at all...

Lastly, you can hunt in 2020 but only as archery for east river. If you want to hunt with your dad that is the only way to get an east river tag as a non resident.

South Dakota recently changed their draw system with unfavorable changes for out of state hunters. Here is a link that you can go to and see the draw statistics from the past few years. https://apps.sd.gov/gf79license/DrawResultStat.aspx
If you and your dad want to hunt together, I would suggest looking into another county west river and start applying. It will probably take you 3+ years to get a tag. Bonus being that if your dad is in state, maybe he could hunt some other areas and find a good spot by the time you get a tag. Also look as some counties have different tags for Any Deer and Any Whitetail Deer (typically near the Missouri River), which your odds may be better for one or the other, depending on which species is most common.
I have deer hunted in SD for many years as out of state, and was on a pretty good rotation of every other year being able to draw a tag. It now looks like my odds go down and it will be every 3-4 years. Bummer. :( Really frustrating that even as a landowner of more than a section I am not able to hunt my own land just because I don't live in the state. Ok, off my soapbox.
Good luck!

The South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website has all the information you need.

The draw odds will tell you a lot.

You have until tomorrow at midnight to buy preference points. I HIGHLY recommend you do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back