Caribou Gear

2020 Montana General Big Game Combo

jnagel32

With our plan for 2019 Wyoming Mule Deer pretty much already planned out, I am looking towards our 2020 hunting trip. My buddy an I are looking to go on our first elk hunt. We are considering Montana due to the ability to hunt archery season and then rifle on the same tags if we are unsuccessful in archery season. We are not looking for a trophy and would just like to harvest a legal bull elk.

I know some units can be better for archery season than they are in rifle season due to weather, the amount public/private land, and/or migrations. That being said it would be nice to have a unit that is a good all around unit for both. If we do have to head back out in rifle season then we would already have the lay of the land and not need to build in extra time for that if we can hunt the same unit during both seasons. I have been looking at Unit 422. It seems this unit has some timber, but also open ridges and some meadows or parks, which would allow us the ability to glass more than say the units in the Little Belts. We are looking to do more of a backpack type hunt and aren't afraid to hike in a little bit. I know there are grizzlies in the area. We have hiked around Alaska together, so we are familiar with grizzlies, but what can we expect in this area? Would this be a good choice for the requirements I have mentioned? Any recommendations for a unit that meets our requirements?

I haven't hunted the area, but in general if you are hunting a grizz area just have a plan to get your elk butchered and out quickly. Boning it out in the field is a good strategy, but not the only one.

There are a lot of griz in the area. Expect to see them if you are there for any length of time, and just be smart about everything you do. Oh and I wouldn't step foot in the unit without bear spray and a .44.

I hunt this area and get as many bears as I do elk on my game cams. Carry bear spray.....

422 looks good on Google Earth, but it is soooo steep when you get there. I hunted there on the rifle opener last year, pulled in two hours before sunrise and there were eight rigs ahead of me. Mostly horse trailers, headed back into the Scapegoat. I bowhunted it once this year, no sign, no critters. When rifle season came around I was on BMA in 423 instead. Still no elk, no deer, but closer to home and not as crowded. I hunted hard the first week of season and had one grouse to show for it. I’m pretty well convinced that elk don’t really exist. They’re a cruel hoax perpetrated by FWP.

422 looks good on Google Earth, but it is soooo steep when you get there. I hunted there on the rifle opener last year, pulled in two hours before sunrise and there were eight rigs ahead of me. Mostly horse trailers, headed back into the Scapegoat. I bowhunted it once this year, no sign, no critters. When rifle season came around I was on BMA in 423 instead. Still no elk, no deer, but closer to home and not as crowded. I hunted hard the first week of season and had one grouse to show for it. I’m pretty well convinced that elk don’t really exist. They’re a cruel hoax perpetrated by FWP.

you just described pretty much every trail head in MT. LOL

Thanks for the replies. I understand I need to take necessary precautions for bears if I end up in a grizz area. As far as food storage, do most guys use bear bags or do you use the canister style bear containers? Is there any regulations on what type of food storage container to use in Montana?

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back