2020 Colorado Draw

draw is probably done for the day. Antelope Deer will probably be tomorrow and then maybe elk too.

You guys all applying for Oso or something?

Bear aren’t managed for trophy quality in CO soooo the best bear units IMHO are the ones that have such high densities they are letting you kill 3 a year.

Bear aren’t managed for trophy quality in CO soooo the best bear units IMHO are the ones that have such high densities they are letting you kill 3 a year.

I put in for bear in case I was helping a buddy during archery season in his draw unit bc it is also a draw unit at that time. I usually also stick a tag in my pocket as an add on when on my personal archery hunts too.

I put in for bear in case I was helping a buddy during archery season in his draw unit bc it is also a draw unit at that time. I usually also stick a tag in my pocket as an add on when on my personal archery hunts too.

Gotcha

I just put in for a tag that would run concurrently with the first rifle tag I hope to draw. Was wanting it in my pocket just because, not necessarily for a real pursuit.

First time colorado elk hunter . Is the second draw worth applying for instead of just grabbing an OTC tag for archery ? Is there better units in the secondary draw or are they secondary for a reason. PM if you wish . Thanks for any info .

First time colorado elk hunter . Is the second draw worth applying for instead of just grabbing an OTC tag for archery ? Is there better units in the secondary draw or are they secondary for a reason. PM if you wish . Thanks for any info .
All depends on your preferences, first time for the second draw like it is. If there is a tag you like apply and see if you get lucky, if you don’t get it, get an otc tag.

Like @Dsnow9 said it kinda depends on what you are looking to do.

Here's an example the grand mesa.
Those units are OTC for archery and OTC for 2nd and 3rd Rifle.
1st, 4th, and Muzzy are limited statewide by statute, but these tags are undersubscribed in these units so there are always tags available in the secondary draw.
^Muzzy usually goes with 0 points but you can usually get a returned tag.

One thing I would be careful of with the leftover units is that most of the ones on the front range are undersubscribed because there is a ton of private and very little public.

Here is the main way I would use the secondary draw... During the primary draw I would put pref points as your first choice, then a cow tag as your second choice. Then I would use the secondary draw to pick up a muzzy or 1st/4th season tag. Therefore getting 2 elk tags and a pref point.

My biggest CO bull came from a unit that always has leftover tags... my smallest takes 1pt 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Like @Dsnow9 said it kinda depends on what you are looking to do.

Here's an example the grand mesa.
Those units are OTC for archery and OCT for 2nd and 3rd Rifle.
1st, 4th, and Muzzy are limited statewide by statute, but these tags are undersubscribed in these units so there are always tags available in the secondary draw.
^Muzzy usually goes with 0 points but you can usually get a returned tag.

One thing I would be careful of with the leftover units is that most of the ones on the front range are undersubscribed because there is a ton of private and very little public.

Here is the main way I would use the secondary draw... During the primary draw I would put pref points as your first choice, then a cow tag as your second choice. Then I would use the secondary draw to pick up a muzzy or 1st/4th season tag. Therefore getting 2 elk tags and a pref point.

My biggest CO bull came from a unit that always has leftover tags... my smallest takes 1pt 🤷‍♂️
Good explanation and honest answer . Thank you .

@wllm1313 , how are you going to keep sane with no stats and patterns to figure out with those boring otc WT Massachusetts tags?

Wife -"Seems like you're still spending a lot of time talking about your western applications, aren't you going to research the stuff around here"

Me- "Apparently you just buy tags and go out here"

Wife -"Huh... so like... what are you going to talk about now?"

Me- ....

Me- ...

Me- "Apparently how much I hate the Yankees"

Back