2019 Nebraska turkey hunt

pointingdogsrule

Headed out to Chadron for my annual turkey hunt last week. Love to hunt out there with my good friend. The first two days were uneventful as gobbling and turkeys were slow to move. The third day I found 6 hens and two toms on public land and managed to get one that was interested in me. Some day the PINE RIDGE hills are going to give me a heart attack. This 60 year old guy has to get into shape :). 29 years in a row with at least one Turkey.
2019turkeynebraskasmall2.jpg

2019turkeynebraskasmall7.jpg

The next two days the snows came. This shut the Toms off completely. No strutting and very little gobbling after they left the roost. The first few days the Tom's head were so bright red in color. During the snowy days the red disappeared and they looked just like the hens.
2019turkeynebraskasmall3.jpg
2019turkeynebraskasmall4.jpg
2019turkeynebraskasmall6.jpg

The fourth day the skies cleared and the sun came out in the afternoon. Just the type of days the turkeys like :) We located two Toms on a private ground. There were tending hens in an alfalfa field. The one dominate one chased away the subordinate Tom. We made a plan and worked our way around the field so that we could get closer. We started at 400 yards away. Being on private ground we took The "TOM umbrella" or as we refer to it: "The Mary Poppins" :) We popped up over a slight rise and the subordinate tom was at 110 yards. We moved the umbrella from side to side and it caught his attention. He came into 33 yards and stopped. That was close enough. Bottom photo: "a happy hunter" with his second Merriam. It was the usual FANTASTIC trip hunting and meeting up with good buddies.
2019turkeynebraskasmall5.jpg

2019turkeynebraskasmall4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome post. My wife and I are heading out to Chadron on Saturday from Tallahassee, Florida. Will be out first out of state Turkey hunt and I can't wait. We will be hunting the National Forest for 5 days, camping as we go. I sure hope we timed it right and it looks like we may have. Thanks for sharing and congrats on another fun trip.

How is Russ doing at The Westerner Motel? Been a couple of years since I hunted there. He is a big Nebraska Cornhusker fan. Thanks, TheGrayRider.

How is Russ doing at The Westerner Motel? Been a couple of years since I hunted there. He is a big Nebraska Cornhusker fan. Thanks, TheGrayRider.
Russ is great, however, he keeps upping the rate. Now $60 a night. Still a nice place to stay and a good deal. Was $40 when I first started hunting out there.

Last edited:
Very nicely done!! Congrats and thanks for sharing. A trip to country like that for turkeys is something I need to make time for some year.

I do not remember what the nightly rate was a few years ago at the hotel. Nonetheless, the location was very convenient for traveling to the various hunting spots around Chadron.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back