Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2019 and 13 archery deer so far (and a Broadhead challenge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stay Sharp

Ive lived in this WI subdivision setting for about 20 years. As more and houses have been built and more and more habitat turned into home lots, the deer are running out of places to live and yet they remain in the area. Compounding the issue is that we are living around the perimeter of 1,000 acres of state land that was gifted to the state with a No hunting deed restriction. This sanctuary is filling with deer that then expand into the subdivisions.

Car deer collisions are spiking, landscaping and garden and are nearly impossible to grow and since we are in a CWD hot zone and what seems to be deer tick central, The problem has reached critical mass. The city and township partnered for a municipality wide deer culling but the close proximity of the houses in these suburbs means only archery gear can be used.

The municipality supplies us with the tags that are good for both bucks and does. We are mandated to turn over the entire head for CWD testing (we cant keep the antlers) but we can either keep the meat or donate it and since my freezers are already filled with my recent archery bull elk and archery alligator and remaining meat from my water buff and red stag bow hunts, I donate 100% of the deer I take and have created a rather long waiting list of families wanting venison. I gut them and hang them and make a call and they are picked up the same day.

prdcPcv.jpg

Because Im hunting 1 to 5 acre lots and I dont want to jeopardize the program by having wounded deer run into non participants yards or a deer running around with an arrow in it, I need quick kills and a pass through every time and great blood trails and the certainty of a fixed blade head so mech heads were not an option. I increased my inventory of 250 grain woodsman broadheads as I have enjoyed a lot of success with them with short blood trails and deer going down in eyeshot of my stand. With the 250 grain heads, My total arrow weight is 550 grains.

fXlGBxZ.jpg

As soon as I returned from a successful Idaho archery elk hunt (also with the same woodsman heads) I started on the deer cull.

Cull deer #1. Pass through and down within sight. ** note** it avoid issues with liberal, anti hunter dems that would complain I typically wait till dark to retrieve the deer.

wGr3WYv.jpg

DQdSDUX.jpg

I re-sharpened that stewed and put it back in the quiver for the next deer.

OSaNo8E.jpg

Deer #2 Another doe with that same re-sharpened woodsman and an other short blood trail

GzjEUYc.jpg

VYrkXvm.jpg

I resharpened the woodsman and went back for more.

Deer #3 a back taken at 8 yards and a crash within eyesight.

34M0nJh.jpg

dci6Zqs.jpg

Now I was on a quest to see how many deer I could take with that same woodsman head so I sharpened it and it went back in the quiver.

Deer #4. I had booked a whitetail hunt out east so I packed top my gear and that same woodsman head.

sGqcaA6.jpg

a5cyXN4.jpg

2DqDV56.jpg

n6B34OU.jpg

pVa6nwe.jpg

Last edited:
Deer #5 for the year with the same woodsman head and a very short blood trail.

r5Xe1Y5.jpg

Q7luvxO.jpg

hKYb3ld.jpg

f9LsOdM.jpg

I re-sharpened the head and made ready for the next hunt.

Deer #6 with that woodsman head. #8 yard shot. I watched him drop.

ovnV6aM.jpg

teS1rjc.jpg

Xon1iOE.jpg

The dead sled makes life so much easier. So does the ramp I made. Loading deer alone can be a pain if you dont create some advantages for yourself.

5RZLUsg.jpg

qSG4wyu.jpg

The back of the traveling deer hauler. A place for everything and everything in its place.

nsy0aZC.jpg

Love these woodsman heads for buck, clean kills. These suburban deer kills require a lethal head with a pass through, and short blood trails.

5JqjTEU.jpg

Deer #7 with the same head. 50 yard run. This was a morning hunt. I resharpened the head and used it that afternoon for another.

pBoXJ9G.jpg

This is how people pick up the deer from my garage.

iXhUrt4.jpg

Deer #8 and this time the property I was hunting, the homeowner wanted the deer. I filmed the hunt but this forum prohibits me from linking the video and drawing you away from this page and their YouTube channel so I cant show the kill and how fast the deer dropped in his yard. I was able to kill two big does the same day so when I got home I re-sharpened that woodman head again and got ready for the next hunt.

Deer #9 for the woodsman head. Another big doe.

MubMskN.jpg

NHPadKM.jpg

8gxUGns.jpg

What would have been deer #10 with the same broadhead was upstate at my lease. Due to the prohibition here that doesn't allow me to post the YouTube videos of my hunts here, I can only screen shot the shower of sparks and the 32 yard shot at the doe from the video. In the screen grab with can see the sparks when that Woodsman head hit the rock.

wggM8sI.jpg

She dropped an entire body width

LsPVdSZ.jpg

XaDnf06.jpg

Deer #10 and I will again see how many I can kill with the same head. I took this deer on my land and my WI archery buck tag.

RHwkhO9.jpg

KfFi8LW.jpg

kyVnsTA.jpg

xAZ4CnN.jpg

Deer #11 for the year. A giant doe. Look how big she is compared to my drag sled.

T7Ccwlz.jpg

tEugaKE.jpg

9OrsPQr.jpg

ShlBALQ.jpg

Deer #12 Another doe 3 days after the last one

rjbSSiB.jpg

saS9yXH.jpg

xnRDF5c.jpg

The thread title says 13 deer in 2019. Thats because I filled my 2018 WI buck tag on my land on Jan. 2 of 2019. This is that buck and it too was taken with the woodsman head. I watched him drop after a 50 yard wobbly run from the heart shot.

ljXtxxn.jpg

R07WYKi.jpg

EtrLuuZ.jpg

I still have a month and a half to continue to remove deer for the municipality and hope we get more snow.

FEQ78bk.jpg

Still? If I ever did it would be a first as Ive never poached an animal. Nearly a decade ago I got a citation for feeding deer.

Last edited:
6 years is not quite a decade. Also, isn't there a difference between feeding and shooting a deer over the bait?

XXXXX was cited about 10 a.m. on opening day of Wisconsin’s nine-day firearms deer season by Department of Natural Resources warden Barry Meister. The citation notes XXXX was hunting from a tree stand about 40 yards from where corn was spread, and XXXX admitted dumping “about half of a 5-gallon pail of shell corn” the previous Monday, Nov. 12.
“The subject stated he placed the corn at this location because his elderly father was planning on hunting from this stand, but (his father) changed his mind and hunted elsewhere,” Meister wrote. The citation also notes XXXX shot a spike buck before Meister arrived.

@Stay Sharp I, and I expect most here, find your DIY projects and tutorials to be fantastic, enjoyable to read and very informative. You clearly have some very interesting skills and hobbies, and I hope you share more.

Most HT users, however, are likely not going to have the stomach for reading about your Texas water buffalo or Iowa stag, fenced pigs, etc. Just gotta know your audience!

Where does it say that?

The site owner sent me this link making clear as to why he pulled my threads that contained hunt videos that I posted to yourube.

@Stay Sharp I, and I expect most here, find your DIY projects and tutorials to be fantastic, enjoyable to read and very informative. You clearly have some very interesting skills and hobbies, and I hope you share more.

Most HT users, however, are likely not going to have the stomach for reading about your Texas water buffalo or Iowa stag, fenced pigs, etc. Just gotta know your audience!

Because I own a bowhunting products company and I design bowhunting products for other bowhunting companies, I am tasked with putting down animals to verify and validate certain items. Killing critters is a must as live animal trials is where the rubber meets the road. Waiting for a season to open normally does not fit the strict time frame constraints so I travel far and wide with bow in hand to test bowhunting products. It might be on public land, private land, guided, outfitted, no fence, low fence, high fence. It matters not. I dont get hung up on such things as it relates to this sort of work. All the hunts are educational, enjoyable, challenging in their own regard. If such thing upset some, there is the option here to use the ignore feature so they dont have to see it. Likewise, most mice are equipped with a little wheel that allows them to scroll on by and never look back and they dont have to comment.

Bowhunting products are brought to market and you would want them to be tested on live critters. You would want wound channels and blood trails tested on live game. Rests, sights, quivers, etc. likewise should have the rigors of being field tested. If some think those trials only occur after waiting years for a draw hunt, they would be disappointed to know the truth.

Last year the live weight of all my bow killed game was 4,430 lbs. This year Im currently at 3,225 lbs. If I only did trials on my local WI deer and the few tags I get, it take a very long time to validate a design. I think folks here are adults and will understand. If not, again, there is the ignore feature.

Last edited:
The chronicles of the "Travelling Adventure Bowhunter" are far too entertaining to use an "ignore" feature. Was a joy to follow your posts on 24-hr campfire. I have my checkbook open, awaiting for a new gadget to buy for my archery hunting needs.

The chronicles of the "Travelling Adventure Bowhunter" are far too entertaining to use an "ignore" feature. Was a joy to follow your posts on 24-hr campfire. I have my checkbook open, awaiting for a new gadget to buy for my archery hunting needs.

I wont be selling or offering for sale, any of the bowhunting stuff I design or test or evaluate /field test so your wallet is safe. Thanks for following along.

Interesting stuff. Do you have an average of how far each animal died from point of impact?

I switched to a single bevel 2-blade a couple of years ago for penetration/efficiency purposes (all based on Dr. Ashby’s studies). I don’t have a lot of kills with that head yet, but blood trails seem to be fairly “weak” although the animals don’t seem to run far before going down, which is obviously both good and bad. Curious if you thoughts/experiences with single bevel 2-blade vs the Woodsman heads you’re shooting.

Interesting stuff. Do you have an average of how far each animal died from point of impact?

I switched to a single bevel 2-blade a couple of years ago for penetration/efficiency purposes (all based on Dr. Ashby’s studies). I don’t have a lot of kills with that head yet, but blood trails seem to be fairly “weak” although the animals don’t seem to run far before going down, which is obviously both good and bad. Curious if you thoughts/experiences with single bevel 2-blade vs the Woodsman heads you’re shooting.

I use single bevels on really large/dangerous game with heavy bones to max out on penetration. I find them overkill of small game like deer and black bear as pass throughs on them are commonplace since the bones are not an issue. That being said, when I was developing a homemade single bevel head for my use from a low poundage homemade longbow to take deer and black bear I did so because of the low draw weight (48 pounds) I was pulling and trying to squeeze out petter penetration but with a compound I dont use single bevel one deer or bear.

The blood trails are lesser which is to be expected from a single bevel with only 2 blades and a slit that can clot and close easier than a multi blade head but Ive never lost an animal using a single bevel and the run time were always short.

As far as distance traveled after the hit, Im getting a max of 14 seconds and a min of 8 seconds with heart or double lung hits and thats due in large part to the low profile and length of th head, these animals dont know they are hit as there is no "Punch" or "tweak" like users of short heads get or mech head users get. The woodsman slips through, they run. and stop and look back and then its lights out.

While I killed a ton of critters with short and steep angle heads like slick trick, the animals ran further because they were just punched in the sides and knew it. Here is my woodsman compared to tricks I think you will understand what Im talking about.

UEa3M6N.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back