Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2017 Texas Whitetail

npaden

Last year I shot a good whitetail buck about 300 yards in front of my house and this year I shot this guy about 300 yards to the side of the house.

2017 Texas Whitetail by naathan2, on Flickr

Spotted him from my balcony of the house, but it was a little farther than I wanted to shoot so I put the stalk on him in my running shoes and ended up shooting him at 90 yards.

Trying Flickr for photo hosting so hopefully this will work. Took a little bit more work that I expected. Uploaded them from my phone to Flickr easily, but my phone wouldn't pull up the correct link to embed for BB so I had to then go on my computer to Flickr and click on the pictures and get the correct embed code.

I think this should finally work though.

Last edited:
My son took the pictures this morning. He was sleeping in and I didn't really expect to see anything. He needs more time to setup and get ready than this guy was going to give us so I ended up shooting him.

Here is his buck from our hunting property about 100 miles away that he shot earlier this year.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

Dang, you still got the other side of the house and the back yard to hunt over the next couple of years, can't wait to see what happens. Pretty sure I'm jealous of where you built your house.

Thanks. It is amazing to me that there are deer anywhere close to here and even more amazing that I am able to hunt deer from my house. 90% of Lubbock county is flat as a pancake and nothing but cotton fields. I live on about the only topography in the area. Lubbock county had it's first mule deer season 4 years ago and it's first whitetail season just last year. When we moved out here 16 years ago I think we saw 3 deer in the first 4 or 5 years. I saw 15 deer the other morning from my house.

Today is the last day of our mule deer season and I've seen a really nice mule deer buck before the season but haven't seen him during the season yet. He wa actually hanging out on the other side of the house. Maybe tonight will be the night.

Neighbor had a trail camera picture of him. His teeth were worn almost to the jawbone and if I was going to age him based on that I would guess 7 years old. The trail camera picture would for sure support that age bracket. I think I could safely say he was 6+.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great pics and nice bucks!! That breaks country is very neat. Maybe put in a food plot to help with the deer population.
With teeth worn down to the jawbone he is at least 8-10 years old I would think. I harvested my first whitetail years ago and his teeth were also very worn, he had an ear tag from a transplant op and I got his age based on when he was tagged from the state, he was 10 1/2 years old. Surprising to all involved with the transplant and my hunt.

How many hogs have moved in since you bought your place?? Be prepared for when they move in.

Nicely done!! 'Tis a dream/hope of mine to live on property I can hunt on. You've done well, congrats!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

It really is neat seeing deer on your property nearly everyday. I only have 60 acres at the house so I don't have the option of really "hunting" it. I pretty much sit on my back balcony and glass and hope something shows up that is worth a short stalk. I plant 5 acres of wheat each fall and that brings them in pretty well normally but it has been pretty dry this fall and it was a bad spring for cotton so several of the farmers around me planted sorghum and that has really attracted the deer more than my wheat. I do have a small pond that is about the only open water on the top of the canyon for a couple miles in either direction so that for sure brings some deer in. If you look closely at the pictures the buck I shot had for sure been in the pond the morning that I shot him.

My neighbor has gotten a few pictures of pigs on his trail camera but they are few and far between. So far it seems that it is open enough country that they can be controlled fairly well.

Great buck for Lubbock co still hard to believe they have a whitetail season. Congrats to your son on that buck as well.

We chased mulies at our fisher county place hard over thanksgiving had one poached off our place while we were ther but it sure if the GW has caught up with them yet. Passed some young bucks and are covered in does just need to get a hint of the rut to bring the better bucks out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back