2016 muley hunt...help

Wyatt G

Like it says me and my father are going out west on a mule deer hunt in 2016 when i graduate from high school but we have zero preference points anywhere and my dad is disabled with crohn's disease...we would rather do it the right way and go public land diy but with him being disabled were thinkin it might be to hard so he is wanting to do a guided hunt, if we did that we would have to go with landowner tags since we have no preference points, what states hae landowner tags?...but going public land would be much cheaper, so we were thinking either wyoming unit 82 because my dad has been there multiple times so he has experience there or nebraska in the pine ridge area....but we are open to any state we just need easier terrain for my dad, i was thinking leftover tags somewhere or putting in for a hard to get tag for the point and buy a special tag for a better unit....but what places do you guys think would be good for my dad, he would like to have a big buck but i really dont care about size i just want to spend some good time with my dad on my first trip out west.

Might look for a "management" hunt through an outfitter if you are looking to save some $ and dont' care about getting a trophy.

As far as OYO vs guided I'd consider your dads needs. What does he require for accommodations such as bed, food, heat, etc... What are his physical limitations such as how far he can walk. My guess is going guided will give you more time to focus on having fun with your dad and less on planning where to hunt and getting a deer out of the woods. Good luck on your hunt.

Spend all the time you can with your dad, I lost mine 15 yrs. ago and he wasn't an outdoorsman but supported me in all my adventures! Go with what works for you both. Research All western states.

I would like to go for speed goats because even though there is alot of walking its really easy terrain and would be alot easier in him but he isnt really into them but i can talk to him about it....but are there any states with otc or any good units we can apply for with 1 point and a special tag?

The biggest advantage you have right now is time. I'm a Montana fan, but also think any of the other states in the area would work as well depending on the specifics of what you're after (quality, quantity, access, etc.) in the end.

But, I suggest ringing some phones with the state wildlife authorities. They can really give you some good information.

Lots of good units in Wyoming you can draw for deer with no points. Not premium units, but it doesn't sound like he is looking for that. I know Unit 82 had some serious restrictions placed on it a few years ago, so your Dad's experience there may be of no value.

As to pronghorn, lots of places in WY with one point, sometimes none. Doing that and going in the Special Draw and paying the extra might be more economical than a landowner voucher or a guided hunt.

Some decent CO deer units with one point. But, it is rougher country than WY. NV is always an option, as you might draw with no points, given it is a bonus point system, not a preference point system.

Idaho does not have a point system and some great deer units. Might want to think about that as an option. NM has lots of good antelope and no point system, so your odds are as good as anyone.

Im thinkin colorado and idaho are going to be to rough for my dad...i tried the antelope idea but he said that he would take me to go get one but he wouldnt get one himself:mad:...i saw that the custer national forest had lots of land to get away from roads and people, it probly isnt too rough for my dad and most of it is in unit 704, how many points does it take to draw there and could we draw there with one point and a special tag?

I may have found a outfitter with easy country, good prices, with big deer and lopes in wyoming....i know that most of you guys dont go on guided hunts but i was wondering if any of you guys might know who they are, they're wyoming trophy hunt and the owner is ken metzler.

I may have found a outfitter with easy country, good prices, with big deer and lopes in wyoming....i know that most of you guys dont go on guided hunts but i was wondering if any of you guys might know who they are, they're wyoming trophy hunt and the owner is ken metzler.

You are correct that those are some cheap prices, appx half what the outfitters I know charge. Probably a good option if you dont want to stay in a lodge and have your meals prepared for you. Might ask for some references and do some checking with the local BBB. My guess is the trophy quality is probably not that good considering the prices. Things like $1,200 antelope hunts, $1,900 deer hunts and $2,400 elk hunts are about as cheap as you can get on a guided hunt. Could be a fun way to spend some time with your dad. Good luck.

My dad was fine with stayin in a hotel and eatin at a resteraunt...i did a bit of researc last night and supposedly he is a official scorer for sci and i think it says on their website that 70% of their goats a pope and young but idk bout that....ther prices do have me a bit worried but were going to call and get some references and im going to do some more research tonight.....their pictures have pretty good trophy quality and arent old but you cant always trust them, bot hopefully they turn out.

Hunt muleys in eastern Montana.Thats easy terrain,nopoints to draw the general tag,and plenty of land to hunt.I did a diy hunt there a couple years back and bucks weren't hard to find.Real big bucks were no shows but plenty of average 4x4 and 3x3 bucks.Block management land all over the place out there.Be my #1 pick for you and your Dad

If we do public land the custer national forest in eastern mt was one of our options....i think the region its in kills 25% of all mt's deer.

If you do Mt., I'll give you some places I had good luck on while out there

Are you looking to Archery or Rifle hunt? What is the extent of your father’s limitations now and will it get worse? Is walking half a mile over gently rolling terrain to much? What are your priorities for this hunt (15 years from the hunt when you look back what do you want to remember about it)? I have to take some of the same things into account when I hunt with my father. I took him hunting in the Flint Hills region of Kansas and broke him off just walking some of those hills around there. I would start my research based off limitation and a realistic approach. From there I would look at the guided and DIY options and go with the one that best fits my overall goals of the hunt.

Colorado offers a special permit for handicap hunters. You simply submit a form with a Dr.'s signature and explanation of the disability and it allows your dad (and you) to hunt AND SHOOT from the truck! If you apply for the 4th season hunt, the deer are in rut and you'll see them all over the place at dawn and dusk!

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/About/Accessibility/MobilityImpairedBigGameHuntingApplication.pdf

The application says it's for antlerless only but I would call to verify just in case.

Last edited:
Back