Caribou Gear Tarp

2016 Montana Antelope drawing

"every 700 unit" would imply the FWP actually manages each unit individually. I'm guessing a giant herd of antelope migrated in from ND, SD, or WY and FWP discovered there were lots of antelope, therefore, lots of tags to give out. That, or they needed some $.

"every 700 unit" would imply the FWP actually manages each unit individually. I'm guessing a giant herd of antelope migrated in from ND, SD, or WY and FWP discovered there were lots of antelope, therefore, lots of tags to give out. That, or they needed some $.

Is there a reason they DON'T manage them individually? I mean Region 7 is roughly 180 by 180 miles...

I think they adjust the numbers based on their post-fawning counts. The regs are released in the winter; counts aren't done until spring/early summer.

I could be wrong on that though.

I guess today is as good a day as any to actually post after being a member for a year...my dad and I drew rifle tags in unit 300! I guess I will probably stop being a lurker and be a bit more active around here over the next few months...We drew with no points so hopefully that relative good luck continues in to the hunt! Come on October!

Huh, the regs say 3,000. Do they sometimes change that number by the time the actual drawing happens?

A co-worker of mine got a call after the elk drawings were out saying they upped the 410 either sex rifle permits and he had got one after it was posted saying unsuccessful. Apparently they ended up giving more out there this season. So I imagine sometimes they just do this stuff willy nilly. :confused:

Does anybody know why if you drew a bow/rifle tag why you can't start bowhunting until September, but the 900 tag allows you to bowhunt from August through the end of the season? Seems to me that if you wanted to go after one with your bow, but you have a tag that's good for bow or rifle, then there'd be a common start date with the 900 tag....am I missing something?

I'm guessing it is an attempt to keep things fair for all. The 900's are archery only. Your tag allows you to pick up a rifle if you strike out on archery - not so for the 900's.

Possibly an attempt to give the bow tags first crack at em.

Good luck to all the drew - we struck out on antelope.

Surplus tags didn't last very long. I was lucky enough to snag a doe/fawn tag for the N. Helena Valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back