Montana 700s

Tyler1215

Hoping to get a montana antelope tag in the 700s next year. Curious if anyone had this hunt this year and wanted to share how their hunt went? Pics?

There was a significant reduction in tags across the board. I wouldn't be surprised if those that hunted Region 7 experienced some not great hunts so current information will be not easy to find. I also wouldn't be surprised if next year's tag numbers were cut again.

Populations are down quite a bit, I'd expect more tag cuts next fall. Can still find a respectable buck, but not a 1 day and done hunt like it used to be. You are going to need to cover a lot of ground (not outside of possibilities to drive 500 mi a day), know what's public and private (still fair amount of good animals on private), have good optics, and it will really help if you can accurately shoot 500-600 yards. That said I didn't cover the whole unit, stayed in 705 and was only there for 2 days. If I had a buck tag next year I would try to be out there scouting the day before and on the gun opening morning. There's still a tremendous amount of public ground in these units and if you pound it out you will get a chance at a good buck, but it's a real hunt. We have 4 points now so should draw, but I'm also next in line for WY elk so may not have the time for it.

Populations are down quite a bit, I'd expect more tag cuts next fall. Can still find a respectable buck, but not a 1 day and done hunt like it used to be. You are going to need to cover a lot of ground (not outside of possibilities to drive 500 mi a day), know what's public and private (still fair amount of good animals on private), have good optics, and it will really help if you can accurately shoot 500-600 yards. That said I didn't cover the whole unit, stayed in 705 and was only there for 2 days. If I had a buck tag next year I would try to be out there scouting the day before and on the gun opening morning. There's still a tremendous amount of public ground in these units and if you pound it out you will get a chance at a good buck, but it's a real hunt. We have 4 points now so should draw, but I'm also next in line for WY elk so may not have the time for it.
Thanks for the reply

I have hunted 700 for many years. I saw a nice average buck the first day. Did not see antelope many places where we normally see them. The bands we saw were small compared to years past, when we would see 12+ in a band. We were seeing bands of 6-9 does without bucks. On the fourth day I decided to take the buck I saw the first day and glad he was still around.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back