MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2015 Colorado best trip/hunt of my life!!

This is a picture of my little buddy I called in on day 2. I thought he was going to jump on me. Let me tell ya there a lot of squirrels for him to eat. I don't think he will starve for lack of prey.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 972
Congratulations on your bull. You and the Mrs sure hit the lottery with your MI elk tags! I live just south of you and have driven up to Atlanta to look for the elk. Very nice country up there for sure.

Day 6 Chris had to go back to work, so Todd and I pressed on. Trying to fill another shopping cart with elk meat. We got a late start in the morning. Started walking in and didn't make very far and heard bugle. The weather was windy and swirling so we just slowly worked are way up the mountain to try and get into a good position to make a play on the bull we heard. Once we got up the mountain we found a long narrow meadow, that was on a steep incline along the mountain. We also finally found some stable wind , as it had be shifting all morning. I told Todd I was going to move out into the meadow on the high side and he could hang back and call. Once I got into position. I walked about 70 yards and found a spot with some good back ground and 2 pines that I slipped in between. I cleared out a small hole to shoot through as
Todd began to call. I could hear the bull off in the distance bugle. Todd continued to bust brush and call. All of a sudden I looked at the end of meadow and there was a bull standing there like statue. Looking cautiously for the elk making all of the noise. I pulled up binoculars and quickly started counting 1,2,3,4 good enough he is a legal bull. Which honestly my eyes jumped right to his royals so I figured he legal but didn't want any question left lingering in my head. He stood there for what seemed to be forever. Which probably was only couple minutes if that. He slowly started making his way in my direction. Keeping the same elevation he would walk little ways and stop and listen then proceed. Next thing I know he is closing the distance. He disappears behind the pine I'm standing in and I come to full draw. Just a couple more steps!! I realize my riser is hitting some limbs so I slide back a couple inches as the bull steps out. I look at him and say to myself 30 yards as I find my red pin settling in on his vitals. I release the arrow and it hits the bull. He spins around and makes a dash for the end of the meadow where had entered. I grab my cow call and give q couple calls followed up by a bugle. I sit down and collect myself. Todd comes walking up did you get one. Yes I hit him a 5x5 I think. I hit him a little high think but I was shooting down hill. I told him I thought I heard him go down but hard to tell with the wind. We gather up our stuff and go check where the bull had stood. Nothing! So we decided to walk to where he went into the woods and check for sight. We get there and find nothing. Todd says remember his chest cavity has to fill up before he will start to bled very well, I respond yep I remember. We walk another 10 yards and find a drop of blood. We go 5 more and more blood 10 more yards and blood spray with bubbles. Todd says only one way to get bubbles lung hit! As we followed the blood the sign just go better and better. Then Todd says there he is. My bull had ran into a tree back pedaled and feel down somehow ending up under a log. The bull ran under 150 yards from where I had shot him. We were on cloud 9 we had just killed our second bull calling it in. We sat down and just took in the experience. Then snapped a few photos and got to work breaking down this beautiful bull. We spent the next few hours packing the bull out. 2 shopping carts full of elk what else could we ask for. We figure the bull was a satellite bull that is why he came in so quite and cautious. The other bull we had heard was in a little different area than where he came from. But no way was I going to pass him up!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Packing out the real prize. Fresh elk meat. I told my wife I was going grocery shopping! Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 276
We had one more day before we had to leave so we talked Chris into going out with us. He skipped work and we hit the mountain the next day. We slowly worked our way along the mountain but didn't hear any bugles. We did walk up on a cow and a bull but couldn't tell if he was a shooter or not. As we made our way along after that I cow called a couple times and got a single bugle. So we set Chris up and slipped back and began to call. We waited a long time but the bull never did show himself. By then it was getting late so we went and sat the evening on a wallow. Nothing ever did show itself at the wallow, but it was a good day. Surely better than working, spending the day chasing bulls with good friends. This would end our trip other than beautiful ride back home. I look forward to next September when we can once again chase these magnificent bugling bulls in the mountains of Colorado!!

Congratulations on a truly grand adventure and the success, now fire up the grill.

Thank you on this hunt we where successful on so many levels and learned so much. It was truly an adventure. I can only hope that next year we have a similar experience.

This is a picture of my little buddy I called in on day 2. I thought he was going to jump on me. Let me tell ya there a lot of squirrels for him to eat. I don't think he will starve for lack of prey.

I love them little stouts! Cutest little critters around and always curious as to what I am. Vicious little buggers though!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back