Caribou Gear

2014 MT Elk Hunt Video - Critiques Needed

Sweet. I barely have enough patience to take pictures. That takes dedication what you are doing.

Thanks for taking us along.

It can be very frustrating and tests one's patience!

Yeah when we first started we would always say "we will video that later" and then never get it. Now we really have to slow down our hunting to make sure we get the shots to tell the story. That being said we don't recreate scenes. I may tell him to walk a certain direction but never recreate. There has been some times when we have been frustrated due to video taking too much work when we didn't want to. That being said it is worth it once you begin editing. I am getting really addicted to filming the hunts.

Thanks! I think I will trim some of the intro. The meat turned out fine. We left a good portion of the neck due to a greenish tint but that was it. It was a super tough decision to wait overnight. The video doesn't portray it as well because after we did the interview where it was getting dark we continued looking for blood but never found any. With not knowing that it knicked a lung we felt we could have walked up and bumped it and then never found it.

Great to hear that most of the meat was ok. I went through the same process on my first archery elk - I knew it was a liver shot and there was no blood. I was in a spruce/fir thicket with a lot of blowdown. It was a body search in the pitch dark or wait till daylight.... I waited for daylight and it took 3 of us 2hrs to find the elk which went 3-400yds from where I last heard it break a stick. All of the meat was fine, so I was happy.

Great job! Bowhunters especially know the frustrations sometimes of the blood trail and the finding of their game. I'm glad you didn't delete any of the footage!

I disagree with taking the camp shots out. I love campshots in any hunting show. I think it shows more aspects of the hunt rather than just chasing the animal.

Great video! That takes a ton of work to put together. I like to film/edit as well. Currently use Vegas Pro 12 with a Canon camcorder and Sony action cam. Would like to get a DSLR to take it up a notch.

What camera/software did you use?

Who's ready for September?

Steve, I was a bit worried I was being a little too critical but if you can stomach a few more suggestions here goes. :) I would suggest that you look closely at any time you pan the camera and try to trim out the frames that show camera shake or are jerky. Don't trim anything if it is significant to the story line, but we aren't going to notice or miss one second of the elk walking or standing there and you will get a cleaner edit that doesn't distract the viewers eye. I realize I'm being nitpicky here, but I know you are looking to clean up the small details. Obviously, if it is an action shot where game is about to be shot at or has just been shot, running, etc., you can't and don't want to remove that for authenticity sake. But if you are just showing us wildlife, or b-roll it will help. Also, there are a few times where you have multiple shots of the same thing, (the mulie doe walking through and standing there, and the sunrise of day 5 (???), come to mind) I would suggest you pick the most compelling of the multiples and use only one shot. The viewer gets all of the story line and you are forced to share only the best, thus taking the overall quality to another level. If you are like me, it's hard to eliminate any video that is decent because getting good shots is so hard. It's like I want to show it all because I have an emotional connection to the moment and the effort. However, I'm learning that when I show a video, the audience doesn't have the same emotional connection and it's the compelling story telling and stunning shots that draw them in.
Again, great video !

I will offer my critic! You need to mess up the shelves of your camper. Nobody likes a grand opening of a grocery store look in real life! ;) great video

Great video! That takes a ton of work to put together. I like to film/edit as well. Currently use Vegas Pro 12 with a Canon camcorder and Sony action cam. Would like to get a DSLR to take it up a notch.

What camera/software did you use?

Who's ready for September?

We used a Canon XA20 for all footage and Adobe Premiere Pro CC for editing. Sadly I don't know if we will make it back elk hunting next fall with how the schedule will be but who knows!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back