2012 Antelope Season

THWAK1

I've been out chasing antelope twice before yesterday...some close calls on some big bucks and passing up the smaller ones.

Yesterday I took my dad out for his first hunt of the year. I usually like to set up my Double Bull Blind over a water hole and put him in it. Then I go off and spot and stalk as I find it more challenging...sitting over water is boring, although effective.

We got a late start because I had to drop my daughter off at the high school at 4:45am but I figured we'd be fine. I was wrong!

When we got to where I wanted to hunt there was already a truck where I usually park. I glassed the water hole and there were TWO pop-up blinds at the water hole with THREE antelope decoys set up! Really?! 4 plates, Missoula...GET YOUR @$$ BACK WEST OF THE DIVIDE! :mad:

We drove to the next spot, grabbed our gear and DBB and hiked 1 1/4 mile to another water hole we've hunted the past few years. We topped the reservoir bank and looked over...NO WATER! First time I've ever seen it dry! We hiked back to the truck. :mad:

We then drive to a third spot and there is a truck parked there with Alaska plates...one guy in the truck and another walking across the field with his bow. WTF?! DOES ANYONE FROM ALASKA EVEN KNOW WHAT AN ANTELOPE LOOKS LIKE?! :mad:

I decide it's time for lunch and we head to a small watering hole I frequent for a burger and a beer. This watering hole was empty!!! And there was water!!! :D

After lunch we headed to our friends ranch and spent all afternoon chasing antelope, spot and stalk style. Dad got close but didn't get any shots and I saw nothing that was stalkable that got my heart rate going.

With a few hours of daylight left, I decided we'd head to another water hole to set up my dad for an evening hunt. When we got there, there was another truck! I walked to the top of the first ridge and looked out toward the water hole. There were 6 bucks (small to med at best) within a couple hundred yards of the water...headed to the water. Then I find the hunter, low crawling in 6" high grass towards the antelope. Obviously, they see him and run off, crawl under a barbed wire fence and keep hauling @$$! AAAAARRRGH!!! :mad:

We decide to call it a day and head home. To top it off, the 1 1/2 hour trip home is straight into the setting sun! :cool:

I've never seen more antelope archery hunters out and about in a single day, and ones that continually jacked up our hunting! Hindsight...we should've stayed at the ranch.

But, with all this said and all the mad faces, it was a really good day. Time spent with my dad, seeing good friends, cool temperatures with a slight breeze, and carrying a bow. It doesn't get much better than that! ;)

I did however, see this guy while we were out. :eek:

For now, I surrender... :W: Until next time... :hump:

More to come as my season continues...

Attachments

• DSC05996.jpg
    DSC05996.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 263
The worst day lope hunting is better than the best day of just about anything else.

So all us guys west of the divide cant hunt antelope anymore. WTF. Thats whats wrong with hunters these days we bitch about each other instead of hunting. Good luck

So all us guys west of the divide cant hunt antelope anymore. WTF. Thats whats wrong with hunters these days we bitch about each other instead of hunting. Good luck

I don't care if you hunt over here. It would be like you telling me I can't go to Missoula to root on my Griz during a Cat/Griz game...I'd tell you to get bent. I was just writing a story and trying to be entertaining. It was like my Alaska comment...I know they know what antelope are and this state appreciates the $$$ they bring when they hunt. With that said, the Alaska plates probably belonged to a jetter from the Air Force base in Great Falls. And like I said, it was still a great day. Didn't mean to get anyone worked up.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back