2011 SD Black Hills Regs Available

They severly cut resident tags, and eliminated most doe tags as well. The lions have been hard on the numbers, but with fewer hunters out the last few years I would rate the Black Hills much higher than anytime during the last 50 years. Unfortunately that only means a 120" 4x4 whitetail is solid...

I've heard the lions are the reason the tags were cut (I did notice the resident reduction as well) but then they need to do something about the lions. Moving the lion season out of the deer season was a bad move IMO. Increase the lion quota and have NR help out as well.

As a non resident, can I apply for both black hills and west river? Or do I have to choose just one?

They are seperate seasons, like a antelope and west river deer are seperate. You can apply for both.

They have a lion quota? J/K :)

Maybe somebody here can give a quick rundown.

You can't purchase points for deer in ND, correct?

Season passed to apply for deer in SD, but you can purchase points in July?

I'll admit I haven't had much time to look at each state but that was what I understood in the few moments I did look.

North Dakota is done for the year but South Dakota deadline is July 22.You can buy a point in South Dakota.

Maybe somebody here can give a quick rundown.

You can't purchase points for deer in ND, correct?

Season passed to apply for deer in SD, but you can purchase points in July?

I'll admit I haven't had much time to look at each state but that was what I understood in the few moments I did look.

Like cornfed said, the ND draw deadline is passed. You missed it by about a week.
You are right that you cant buy just a point there. You must apply to get a point the following year. Points don't cost anything. I think a non resident tag is $200. They have kind of a modified bonus point system. You get one point each year. But each point is basically worth 2 chances in the hat. So when you have one point, your name goes in the hat two times, plus that years application. Soooo, your second year of applying, your name is in the hat 3 times. Year three it is in the hat 5 times. Year four it is 7 times. Then when you get so that you have 4 points, they cube the number of points you have. So on year 5, 4 points get cubed, which is 64, plus that current years application, so your name is in the hat 65 times. Obviously, once you get to 4 points, your draw odds go up tremendously and you will draw most units, except for the very best mule deer units.
Im not 100% sure what percentage of tags go to non residents...
As for SD, you can buy points only and i think they only cost $5.
Hopefully you can understand the ND system. You might have to read it a time or two to understand it...

ND allocates 1% of rifle deer tags to NR. However 1/2 of that 1% goes directly to outfitters in whitetail units. So, at best you are vying for 1% of tags.

For SD you should buy a point. You cannot draw without a point as a NR in SD as there will likely never be fewer applicants with at least 1 point than there are tags. Once you have a point you are in the drawing. SD is nice in that they haven't started gouging people for points. They haven't caught on to the western phenomenon of charging a lot of money to people for not hunting.

Last edited:
You cannot draw without a point as a NR in SD as there will likely never be fewer applicants with at least 1 point than there are tags. Once you have a point you are in the drawing.

You are only talking about the Hills....right?

Thanks for the summary! I'll be getting my point in SD.

Hopefully you're keeping your head and home above water vdo84.

I've bought a resident tag as a nonresident a couple weeks before the season in a wr unit that is prmarily private land.

Hopefully you're keeping your head and home above water vdo84.

Thanks Spitz. Fortunately I JUST moved out of Minot. All my stuff is at the moving company's warehouse though so I don't know when they will be able to get it delivered to me. Fortunately their warehouse is on a hill so at least my stuff won't get flooded out. With what the Minot residents are going through now though, I'm not going to complain one bit at all if I don't get my stuff for awhile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back