2011 Pronghorn

Things are crazy in the oil field but I am finally sitting down to finish this up.
After getting Graces buck quartered and packed out we got it on ice. We ate a quick bite then headed out for the last afternoon I had to hunt. Right away I spotted a nice pronged buck at 3/4 of a mile, right in the middle of a flat. I shot some pics through the spotting scope with the dcm.

ICAM0003-1.jpg

ICAM0026.jpg

ICAM0009.jpg

Just before dark they moved and I was able to close the distance to 250 yards. The shot was perfect hitting him directly in the heart, dropping him on the spot.
vanwy2011rifle.jpg

vanwy20111rifle.jpg

I
vanwyrifle.jpg

That wraps up Wyoming for 2011..

This was the first year Nebraska opened up archery to use crossbows and I was determined to take advantage of it.

Oct. 4
The night before the hunt I was shooting my crossbow, when I heard a strange sound. I looked down and saw some slivers had pulled away from the limb. I started calling some guys I know at cabelas and they told me they've been having some problems with this issue. They didnt have any of the strykers in the store but they would let me borrow the brand new model they had as a sample.
Oct5
I picked it up at 8 and headed out to the field. Within 30 minutes I had the xbow sighted in and hitting 1 inch circles at 65 yards. This hunt didnt last very long so this will be short. I spotted this buck getting run off by a dominant buck and knew instantly he was the one. He moved off into a wheatfield by himself and bedded down with the wind in a perfect direction. I worked my way through a valley directly behind him.
DSC_0452.jpg

Everytime he would move his head I froze and waited for him to relax.
DSC_0456.jpg

here is a zoomed in pic
DSC_0457.jpg

As I was approaching 200 yards he got up and looked around. I immediatly sat down and froze. I figured the jig was up but he turned and started walking directly towards me. Things couldnt of been more perfect as he worked broadside and stopped at 80 yards. The shot was perfect and he tipped over within 50 yards. He is a pretty unique and ugly(as oak says) buck.
DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! Great looking bucks! How are you compensating for drop at 80yds? Dots or turrets?

I inherited an xbow from my father and hope to get it out this next year now that they're legal in IN for all of bow season.

Right now I use dots. Planning on switching to a hawke scope and using turrets. I haven't found a Xbow scope I really like I expect some better scopes to come on the market as xbows popularity increases though. Right now the hawke Xb30 is the best I've seen.

Right now I use dots. Planning on switching to a hawke scope and using turrets. I haven't found a Xbow scope I really like I expect some better scopes to come on the market as xbows popularity increases though. Right now the hawke Xb30 is the best I've seen.

Thanks for that info!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back