2011 MT Billy

Awesome photos Drake.
That's a great goat, it looks like you definitely made the most of the tag.

No one had a tag for that bear? Looks like a really nice one.

It was a great bear..the only tag holder in camp showed up later that trip.

The man, the myth, the legend....the only guy I know who would start a 4 mile hike after dark, majority off trail, over 3,000 vertical gain, in prime G-bear country, in order to help a guy out in goat camp...in an area he'd never been before.

DSC01109s.jpg

Awesome photos, great goat.. Congrats! That would have to be the most fun of all tags to draw in MT. Did your camera guy get naked for some goat photos?

That goat and those photos are absolutely amazing. Looks and sounds like you earned every ounce of that goat. After that much effort you have to go with the full body mount on that trophy. Congratulations!

The man, the myth, the legend....the only guy I know who would start a 4 mile hike after dark, majority off trail, over 3,000 vertical gain, in prime G-bear country, in order to help a guy out in goat camp...in an area he'd never been before.

View attachment 28184

And do it in what hour and a half??? Apparently that 5 am cross fit session every day is working.....Used to be good when he couldn't keep up with me, now i can't keep up with him.:)

Great story and the photos tell even more. Hunting mountain goat is not for the faint of heart. Truly an adventure. Thanks for sharing your hunt. MTG

Thanks for sharing. You can never make a good story too long or show too many good photos. Some of those goats in the photos would be pretty safe with me after them considering where they hang out and my fear or heights.

Drake & Critter - I was just happy to get an invite to join ya. I wish I could have gotten away more. It was a lot of fun and with good company.

Did your camera guy get naked for some goat photos?

I still have nightmares of him jumping off a snow bank in his birthday suit:eek: I think he's grown out of that stage. I hope at least. He's definitely the guy I would want with me to judge goats or any other animal for that matter.

Great Pictures Drake. Thanks for taking the time to post them. You had a great season.

Thanks for sharing your story of this awesome hunt. Congrats!

Looks like you had a busy fall, fun stuff. The snowy tent picture is brutal, not sure how you pulled that one off.

Wow, great looking animals and scenery. Congrats on your hunts this year

Im not sure where you guys were but the some of the pics look a little like a area I was in this summer. I may have to cone out and help be a set of eyes and packing help sometime. I may never draw but would be a great time, just to be in the thick of it.

Help a flatlander out here, how much bigger is he than a "normal" whitetail? Would he go 300#'s on the hoof?

I couldn't even begin to budge the thing by myself, I was definitely surprised about the size of him. Not sure what they live weight would be, but they are definitely a lot of hair and hide. I'd say the meat quantity is similar to a decent mule deer. One thing that I noticed over the course of the hunt is the major size difference between the 2-4 year old goats and the older mature billys.

Thanks for the comments..it was definitely the hunt of a lifetime for me. I enjoyed every minute of it, starting back in July.

I'm not completely afraid of the ones I can see, just the ones sneaking around in the grass/night!! Also not as afraid of the Griz that get hunted and have a healthy respect:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll just keep putting in for the Crazies? No Griz, yes?

You know, I spent quite a bit of time with Drake in there this year and there apparently is nobody better at finding Grizzly bears than me.....unfortunately;)

However, we did not run into a single griz on any of the trips while i was along, and i don't think Drake did while i wasn't.

oh, wait, sorry, i forgot about the one trail that was closed because there were at least 3 grizzlies eating on a horse carcass just off the trail............Nevermind;)

Congrats...i had a tag last year and i want to go again~!!!!!

After seeing all your pics and the stories behind them i can relate to every single one of them! I had my Tag in the Absorkees last year here in Montana and it was one of the single most inspiring things I've ever been a part of , the scouting the hard work, the dedication and perseverance it takes to kill such a beautiful animal is so worth it in the end...great job...here is mine i took.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back