MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2010 MT Pronghorn down

jore07

Finally got a chance to go out this weekend with my dad after staying so busy with work and some unsuccessful attempts with my bow. I've been close but just not close enough and being my first actually season bow hunting I decided I wanted a shot from 40 yards and in.

So living vicariously through the posts of others I was able to contain myself while working through opening weekend and up until this weekend out of state.

I guess my patience with the lack of luck/skill in the bow hunting attempts paid off. I wasn't able to harvest a monster like I have seen on others posting here, but this is right up there with what I saw in my area. From what I could tell he was a mature animal that I would be more than happy with so I decided on him.

the story.

Got out fairly early this morning as it was a nice brisk morning and got out to our area. There are some established roads so we parked and glassed some fields. We spotted a decent size herd and attempted to make a stalk. This did not work out so well as they were probably 700 yds out and not a lot of cover. As we made a move another hunter pulled up behind our truck and pretty much sent the entire herd scattering. Not a big deal as I figured we had the rest of the day. Who wants to end the day so quick anyway?

After talking to the other hunters we told them our plans and to their credit they devised a plan to stay away from us. So we got back in the truck and continued on. Not much later in the day we had another smaller herd spotted and decided to try this again. Though this time we didn't have any interference the cover was again limited and we just got spotted before I could get close enough to make a shot I was comfortable with. So again another failure but who cares we were having fun.

We then again went back to the truck and moved to some higher ground. We spotted another pronghorn with a couple does... so again we made another move. We were able to get pretty close on foot then the last little rise I belly crawled up to the top probably about 20 yards or so. They didn't seem spooked at all but knew we were there. He kept looking around and then staring at me while I tried to get steady shooting from the prone position. Of course I forgot to put my bipods on my dad's .243 which would have made it a bit easier. None the less I was able to get steady and wait for him to turn. He was facing me for what seemed like forever but eventually turned quartering to me just a bit. I would have waited for a total broadside but I was getting nervous they were going to take off as the few other does had started stand up and stare as I milled around trying to range him and get set up. I ranged him at 228 yards and then took the shot. It was good solid hit a little forward but dropped him where he stood. We got the animal all field dressed and back to the house this afternoon. Of course field pictures were not possible as the camera joined the bipod on the list of things I forgot. (Excited to get out I think). As I'm sure you can tell the pictures are back at the house after we rinsed it down in the pickup.

It was a fun hunt and even better that my dad had the time to go out with me again. I always have a good time when we are able to get out together. I know I can't tell stories like Big Fin but I thought I'd give it shot. Anyway thanks for reading if you did, and I can't wait to read more of everyone’s stories.

the pics!

Here are the photos. Like I said, not a beast but I was pretty happy. To see the little bit of ivory tips at the ends when I got up there was pretty neat too. Anyway thanks guys hope you like.

Attachments

• DSC01500.jpg
    DSC01500.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC01501.jpg
    DSC01501.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC01502.jpg
    DSC01502.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 253
Congrats jore. Sounds like the combination for a memorable day - pronghorn, hunting with Dad, and taking a buck. Does it get any better than that? I don't think so.

I agree. Not to shabby at all. I'll take days like this anytime, even minus the buck. Hopefully the luck will continue on into the remainder of rifle season.

Congrats on the archery lope. Those don't come easy. I'm going antelope hunting on monday and tuesday. I have an archery 900 tag and an antelope rifle doe tag. I can still bowhunt with the 900 tag until November right? Also, as long as my rifle stays in the vehicle I can be out bowhunting can't I? Just wanted to double check. Thanks.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back