2005 blue grouse

Idaho Ron

This was a interesting hunt. We went to the old chicken coop and tried our luck. We camped at over 9000 feet, and we drove in on a road so bad that every time I drive it I say it is my last time. We hunted Thursday, Friday, and half a day on Saturday. I got sick on Friday night. I think I am comming down with pneumonia. I am so glad I left when I did. I felt so crappy I never took a shot on saturday.
The first thing I noticed was all the birds we were seeing were big old males. Jacob and I both got our limit on the first two days and the guys we were with also got a bunch of birds. In total for the three days we got 28 blue grouse. Two of them were female the rest were OLD males. We never saw a single young bird. I was told by a miner that the birds are late this year. He see's the males about the middle of August. This year they are now just getting there. So far on scouting trips I have only seen two young birds. I might be wrong but I think they are late because of renesting due to the rain we had this spring. Anybody else been out? Ron
321187.jpg

Back