$200 Scope Options

jnagel32

So I picked up a Howa 1500 Youth in 7mm-08 for my wife to start shooting and for my young sons to use down the road. I am looking to top it with a scope in the $200-300 range. Currently I'm looking at a Redfield Revolution Tac 3-9x40 and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical in 3-9x40. Both of these scopes have exposed turrets, which is one of my requirements. They are within $20 of each other so the price is negligible. I compared the Vortex in a 4-12x40 and a Leupold Freedom in 4-12x40 (because initially I was looking at the Leupold) and the Vortex had better glass, but not by much and had better features. I haven't been able to compare the 3-9x40 Redfield and Vortex side by side, but the Redfield seemed to have similar quality glass and the same features. My biggest concern is tracking with the turrets. Does anybody have any experience with these scopes?

I can't add a lot since I just started using it, but I've got the 3-9 Dback tactical on my .257 bee and so far I really like it, it's better than my VX-1, but trails behind my VX-3i, but not by as much as you'd think. Unfortuantly I've never had the chance to compare one side by side with a VX-Freedom, but I'd imagine it's pretty close

I'm not sure I trust a lower end scope to "dial". I'm assuming since the rifle is for your wife and/or son that they aren't going to be shooting beyond a couple hundred yards so maybe consider getting a scope with a "bdc" or similar reticle and have them learn how to use that. If dialing is what you must have then I'd probably stick to the Vortex although I think you might be able to snag the discontinued lines from reputable makers like the Zeiss Terra, Burris FulField E1, or a Nikon for around $200

I grew up shooting fixed 4X scopes - and didn't go to variable scopes until about 6 years ago (and I'm 43 now). I would always look for Leupold scopes at gun shows - the fixed 4X you can find consistently around 120 or so. If there is something wrong with it - you can send it to Leupold under warranty. And for the price it's a tough scope to beat IMO.

I don't know your kids situation, but I plan on teaching the kids (in order): fixed sights (that is where they are now, but they are 9 and 6), then 4X scopes. I've seen kids get confused even at the range with changing scope powers, let alone field conditions. But that's just me (and I don't mean to offend if you want to go the other route).

Keep an eye out for a used Leupold or contact Schmalts and see what he can get you in your price range. A 3-9x40 or similar will be plenty for a starter rifle and youth rifle.

Weaver K-series. Under $200. They are fixed power scopes made in Japan. In my opinion Japan > Philippines.
Leupold FX-II might be a tad better, and still under $300 if you catch a sale.

If you're going to be dialing, I really have had good luck with my SWFA SS 10x that was suggested from some guys on here. Got it on cyber Monday for $250 with scope, rings, and bubble level. But they normally go for $300. I have to say that the tracking is reliable and the glass is pretty decent.

If dialing the scope isn't as much of a factor, I'd say go with the low end Leupold (not sure what the model is now). I have an early 2000s VX-1 and it's been reliable and perfect on my deer rifle. I would assume that the low end model would have improved since then, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy that.

Leupold Freedom 3-9x40 with the tri-MOA reticle. Not the exposed turrets made for dialing, but I wouldn't trust a $200 scope to reliably dial.

What he said. I might have some other options as well but stick to a non turret turner.

A different direction.

Given That you want an exposed dial system....

Have you thought about a VX2 Leupold or other lower end Leupold scope, used or otherwise on sale. The VX2 can be outfitted with the CDS dial system for an additional cost but it would certainly be a solid system that would last a lifetime. Many of the older scopes, even rifleman or some of the others can be outfitted with the CDS system. Contact Leupolds custom shop with the scope serial number and Leupold can tell you if they can or can not outfit the scope with a CDS system. The only reason I could see going against this would be wanting to shoot different loads in your rifle but even that is not that much of a problem. Once Leupold has done a CDS for you it's an 80.00 cost + the ballistics of the new load and they can pop out another dial for you. If I am correct the initial CDS dial is somewhere in the $150.00 range + shipping the scope back to Leupold? Don't quote me on the price but I think it's pretty close. Once you have a CDS dial you won't need to send your scope in for an additional dial, just the new ballistics details.

Just a thought

I really wouldn’t dial any scope on the field, but if I was going to it would have micro-trac/exact-trac, or be European. Those options do not land within your budget. The SWFA will actually track rather well and is a good scope, but I wouldn’t hunt with a fixed 10X. No other scope within your budget is going to have a good reputation for tracking. Why do you really need it to track? You can sight in at 200yds and hold on hair beyond 300yds with a 7-08.

Having 2 Redfield Revenge, and previously owning a Diamondback Tactical, i'd suggest anything other than the Diamondback.
Was really glad, and not so much at the same time, to sell it for 3/4 what i paid for it.

As was mentioned the Leupold VX Freedom, SWFA, Primary Arms all have better scopes in my oppinion.
Sightron SIH also has a TAC model.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I need to do some more research on some of the scopes mentioned. I've always been a Leupold guy, but I am not against looking into other scopes and strongly considering them. What is the glass quality difference between the VX-2 and the new VX-Freedom?

The SWFA will actually track rather well and is a good scope, but I wouldn’t hunt with a fixed 10X. No other scope within your budget is going to have a good reputation for tracking.

Yep. Fixed 10x would be a bit too much for most hunting scenarios. I think they also offer a 6x and 8x, which might be ok.

I think you just need to figure out if/when you'd be dialing. If it's mostly a target/range gun then fixed power is just fine. If it's a hunting gun, you may want a variable or lower powered fixed.

At your price range, you kinda have to choose between reliable tracking and variable power.

I have 2 Redfield Revolution scopes with the accu-range reticle on varmint rifles. Like them quite well for what they are. Made by Leupold so warranty is good.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back