MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

20 GA Over/Under- spend my money

I bought a Weatherby sa 8, made in Turkey,(stamped) 5 years ago. abused it chasing quail, dove, over 100 ducks/geese .20 gauge, used the #4 choke, 6 shot for ducks/geese, 7 shot for quai. never had a problem. and Franchi is now owned by Beneli. I also have a Franchi in a 6.5prc. great rifle.

Yes, I have a Browning Citori in 12 gauge with straight grip, although much older, 1980 vintage. Made by Miroku IIRC. Wonderful upland gun. Mine is Imp/Mod with 26" barrels. Favorite dove gun ever, with the possible exception of the 20 g SXS Charles Daly (again, Miroku) I foolishly traded.

A lightly used Beretta 686 Silver Pidgeon can probably be found for under $2,000. I believe that they only cost about $2,400 new.
Lots of beretta 686 options under $2k.

I handled citoris and berettas, and went beretta. Just liked the fit and feel better. 20 ga, Schnabel forend, fairly lightweight (6lb 2oz), 3", interchangeable chokes, 28" barrel. Ticks the boxes for you.

Mine's actually a late 90s vintage 687 (just cosmetic differences from 686s) and I got it for under $2k a year or two ago.

44817.jpeg

That said, @Ben Lamb has lots of good advice when it comes to shotguns and there's a certain allure to toting a shotgun from a manufacturer you don't see everywhere

Lots of beretta 686 options under $2k.

I handled citoris and berettas, and went beretta. Just liked the fit and feel better. 20 ga, Schnabel forend, fairly lightweight (6lb 2oz), 3", interchangeable chokes, 28" barrel. Ticks the boxes for you.

Mine's actually a late 90s vintage 687 (just cosmetic differences from 686s) and I got it for under $2k a year or two ago.

View attachment 327399

That said, @Ben Lamb has lots of good advice when it comes to shotguns and there's a certain allure to toting a shotgun from a manufacturer you don't see everywhere

Italians make great guns. No doubt about it!

@YoungGun ,

You mentioned a CZ.
I don't have an O/U, but I do love the CZ 720 semi auto that I do have!!

Hard to go much wrong with a CZ, especially at their price point.

I won a Daniel Defense Upper of my choosing recently, which is exciting in and of itself. However, I've been wanting to treat myself on what I would consider a "higher end" truck gun, or a "lower end" pass-me-down 20ga O/U for grouse, pheasant, etc.

In a perfect world, I'd go buy the O/U and slap the new upper on my lower and have a good time at the range from time to time. But it's not a perfect world. I've got a Noveske AR already that does everything I want, so I just see more money leaving my account by keeping the new upper (new optic, probably another suppressor, a tax stamp since I went with a shorty...) and frankly I clean too many star chambers for my liking each year anyway.

So here I am- a golden ticket to make due on the couple years of scheming about that 20ga O/U with minimal impact to the budget.

For quick reference- I looked hard at the 28ga route. But shell availability and price are factors, and I've got the nostalgia of growing up shooting a 20ga Belgium A5, and a decent number of 20ga bird loads to keep me entertained out the gate.

My daily driver for shotguns these days in a Mossberg 500 I won at a DU banquet at the ripe age of 5 (I cried because I wanted the chipmunk .22, but I didn't win that and my dad had me put a ticket in the 12ga tumbler instead), and it's the real truck gun in this scenario.

This new gun needs to be on the trim side- sub 7lbs preferably.

3" chambers, cause "merica. Bigger is better.

I like the feel of a Schnabel fore end.

Auto Ejectors over extractors aren't a must, but sound nice for most of my scenarios (frantic reloads after wildly missing a rooster under foot).

Interchangeable chokes. The more included, the happier my wallet will feel.

Steel shot compatible barrels (If you're suggesting an older shotty).

A traditional look- not the green action and barrels of the CZ Ultralight Upland.

That's about it.

For pricing- cap it at ~$2000.

Brands I'm considering in no order: SKB, Franchi, IFG/FAIR, used Beretta's, used Rugers, used Winchesters, used Remingtons, Browning Citori's (My dad has a couple- the son in me wants to rebel and not get a Citori, and most don't have a schnabel foreend), CZ, Rizzini.

I've looked at Stevens, Mossbergs, and Weatherbys. They're okay, but I have a deep hatred of the "Read owners manual before use" warning on any of them, and for that reason, I'm out.

I'm not interested in ATI, Tristar, EAA, or Iver Johnson etc.

I appreciate any input, opinions, experiences. Thanks.
I have a Beretta 20 ga Silver Pigeon that I'll be selling for $1850. It has a Schnabel fore end, 28" barrels, 3" chambers, and multiple chokes. It weighs 6 pounds, 4 ounces. It's in great shape. I'm in Helena but I'll be traveling to a sporting clays shoot near Logan on June 8. Send me a message if you're interested in looking at it.

The Franchi SL, while very light, has me wondering if an Aluminum receiver is worth the weight savings? Steel seems like a better long term option, or am I being close minded?

In a 20 gauge I doubt the weight difference between an aluminum and steel receiver is enough to make a big difference. The Instinct LX comes in a case hardened steel receiver.

I’m sorry OP didn’t see your price cap. I’d definitely look for a used Browning, Beretta, or Ruger Red Label. If buying new I wouldn’t look at anything but the Franchi. With Benelli buying them I trust them more than I used to. I have a franchi semi auto and love IMG_7765.jpeg

In a 20 gauge I doubt the weight difference between an aluminum and steel receiver is enough to make a big difference. The Instinct LX comes in a case hardened steel receiver.
I definitely like the look of the LX over the SL, and for the marginal price increase and weight penalty, it would seem worth it.

I agree fit is important. Berettas fit me, so that's what I own. It makes shooting easier.

That being said, my ex-BIL could shoot any shotgun really well. His grandpa was a high level skeet shooter and had my ex-BIL shooting a lot from a very young age. So, it's possible to shoot guns that don't fit you, but harder for mere mortals.

I agree fit is important. Berettas fit me, so that's what I own. It makes shooting easier.

That being said, my ex-BIL could shoot any shotgun really well. His grandpa was a high level skeet shooter and had my ex-BIL shooting a lot from a very young age. So, it's possible to shoot guns that don't fit you, but harder for mere mortals.
Throw me in that "mortal" category. I need all the help a gun is willing to give me!

Low end hand me down to me says look for a used Citori or Red Label.

There are a lot of excellent guns out there to any price you are willing to go, but for a decent gun that anyone would be proud to inherit but also not be worried to use, those would be my choices.

Back