2 Deer in 12 hours, Memories of a Lifetime… with hiccups.

The next morning we tried another spot and had deer within range just before shooting light twice but could not find them when the sun came up. We found some fresh bear tracks with a little bit of blood in one paw print but couldn’t make our way through all of the bushes and such that the bear did. We then bumped a nice deer in an Aspen grove but never had a shot.
E3931FA5-FF48-4041-BB98-120A6C6C8EEB.jpeg

Mid day we tried to go up to a different area and found out I had no four whee drive now. At some point my speed sensor wire got cut and we weren’t making it any further. We stopped to talk to a nice gentleman from Utah that said there was a small buck across the valley but he wasn’t interested in it. I couldn’t see the deer and made the mistake of borrowing is NL Pures to check it out. That was a costly mistake…

We saw the deer bed down and @cheesepizza said he wanted to go after the buck. We drove closer and then had a very steep hike up to the bench we saw the deer bed. A very small 2x2 blew out as we created the ridge. Neither of us get this was the deer so we walked slowly. We got to within about ten yards of where we saw the deer bed before he popped up. He ran out to about 200 yards and stopped in some larger bushes. The snow started to blow as @cheesepizza settles in for the shot.

ED3DF9C2-F06E-46B6-B4A5-759157FBDD00.jpeg

He connected and the deer rolled downhill. We made our way to where the deer died but it took us a while to find it.
88AAE16F-E32E-48F0-AAE2-6E9CD76587AF.jpegF91B813C-E1F4-4ECE-ABC2-BD4B465680B9.jpegE3E0CA18-BC63-4474-8004-620204A69218.jpeg
23F1A6DA-7B6F-4AAE-B291-445FF1C34B95.jpeg
@cheespizza made quick work of the deer and we were headed back to the truck. About a month straight of hunting was done and it was time to get home and see the family.
6135416C-FED6-4398-8206-D3456E0A8AD5.jpegEE77626B-C017-4D27-A9EC-B43F9D089BB9.jpeg

Mid day we tried to go up to a different area and found out I had no four whee drive now. At some point my speed sensor wire got cut and we weren’t making it any further. We stopped to talk to a nice gentleman from Utah that said there was a small buck across the valley but he wasn’t interested in it. I couldn’t see the deer and made the mistake of borrowing is NL Pures to check it out. That was a costly mistake…

We saw the deer bed down and @cheesepizza said he wanted to go after the buck. We drove closer and then had a very steep hike up to the bench we saw the deer bed. A very small 2x2 blew out as we created the ridge. Neither of us get this was the deer so we walked slowly. We got to within about ten yards of where we saw the deer bed before he popped up. He ran out to about 200 yards and stopped in some larger bushes. The snow started to blow as @cheesepizza settles in for the shot.

View attachment 209264

He connected and the deer rolled downhill. We made our way to where the deer died but it took us a while to find it.
View attachment 209265View attachment 209266View attachment 209267
View attachment 209268
@cheespizza made quick work of the deer and we were headed back to the truck. About a month straight of hunting was done and it was time to get home and see the family.
View attachment 209269View attachment 209270

So when is Mr. Pizza going to come on here and tell his side of all your stories? 🤣 So he was the one with you on the antelope hunt too? I didn't get to meet him when we stopped by...

Man, congrats again on a awesome buck! It was great to meet you out on the mountain and I greatly appreciated the conversation and the pointers you were willing to share.

@cheesepizza is a hoot for sure! Haha. Need to get his butt on HT.

You embraced the suck and pushed on. Both of you. Congratulations on a successful hunt!

This was an amazing fall and the last drawn tag I had to hunt this year. My hunting partner and I were preparing for a CO 2nd season deer hunt. I will refer to him as @Cheesepizza (dragging his feet on joining HT), and if you need a background to the name you can find it in my mnt goat hunt from this year.

We were on the heels of a NW Colorado antelope hunt, a first season elk hunt (flopped), and my late season nanny mountain goat hunt. For the extent of those trips we averaged around ten miles a day in wildly different terrain. And the majority of it was above tree line in knee deep snow.

To say we were tired and wiped was an understatement, and the fact that my wife didn’t divorce or murder me as she was home with our 1 and 5 year old daughters.

This trip starts out on Friday around lunch time. I met up with my hunting partner and we took a quick jog in waders to go and see if we could jump shoot anything off the river before scouting for the deer hunt in the pm. No luck on the waterfowl hunt though.
View attachment 209188
View attachment 209185
We were familiar with the area and scouted a few large sections to see if there had been much activity after the recent snow. We decided to make a large drive up near tree line and camp there to hunt a large area with not much pressure. We park the truck and watch as the sun starts to go down, ready for the next mornings hike in.

View attachment 209178
Great, Can you tell me which firearms or archery did you use?

Last edited:
Congrats to you both. Those frustrating hunts sometimes end up being done if the most memorable. Way to stick with it!

Congratulations great buck! Wish I would have had similar luck as you in Colorado but as your aware ended up passing on bucks tell I ate my tag.

Back