Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

1st vs 4th season CO

TM0218

Hey everyone! Just doing some preemptive thinking and preparing for a 2020 CO elk hunt. I’m from Florida so the terrain, elevation, and weather will be new to us. Any suggestions on 1st vs 4th season rifle tag? I would like to avoid OTC seasons for crowding reasons, and I know there are benefits and drawbacks to both seasons so I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts. Thanks!

I’m going 1st rifle this year.
Pro: It’s limited entry
Con: It’s only 5 days

There will be some pretty significant differences in the weather between those two seasons.

I think it's early enough that you don't need to be settled into CO yet. Is there a particular reason that you're focused there? Idaho has OTC units and you can still buy a point in Montana to help pull a general license there next year.

If you have no experience with the terrain and weather I would say go 1st rifle. It will be less of a dramatic shift and you'll have to buy less equipment to be comfortable.

First off, just because it's limited entry, does not mean it'll be less crowded. CPW does a really good job of collecting their revenue every year. For example, the Flattops 1st rifle season is a CF. Do your research and look and see how many tags are issued.

Second, they're completely different hunts, most years. 1st rifle is generally better weather, more people, and the elk are still high in their nasty little hidey holes. 4th rifle, the elk are moving (usually, I have hunted in a t-shirt in 4th before, and had to go high for elk), and more visible, but the weather can be disastrous for those unprepared, and you can run into more private land issues.

Of course these are all generalizations, and each unit can be completely different. Pick your poison.

Personally, I hunt 4th rifle because it's less crowded, and I like using optics w/spot and stalk opportunities, vs. still hunting aspen/timber areas. Also, the NR seem to like 4th rifle less.

1st can be a beautiful time of year to be out there, catching the tail end of the aspens turning, and maybe some bugling. Here is a picture of opening day of 1st rifle back in 2014, the last year I hunted that season.

If you go 4th you gotta be prepared. Towing a trailer in somewhere is risky, camping in a tent is insanity. 4 sets of chains w/ 4wd are a must, hell last year I could have used a snowmobile. I either wall tent it or get lodging, which the longer I do this the more I appreciate lodging in town.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Wow that’s an awesome picture. We were in CO 2 years ago in February for a ski trip but we took a day off and did a 4 mile hike, so I know we CAN deal with the cold and terrain. However, maybe for a first CO hunt camping in 4th season might not be the best idea. Baby steps lol. This whole decision of units and seasons seems like it’s very easy to overthink, might just have to pick a unit/season and just do it

Wow that’s an awesome picture. We were in CO 2 years ago in February for a ski trip but we took a day off and did a 4 mile hike, so I know we CAN deal with the cold and terrain. However, maybe for a first CO hunt camping in 4th season might not be the best idea. Baby steps lol. This whole decision of units and seasons seems like it’s very easy to overthink, might just have to pick a unit/season and just do it

Depends on your hunt. Camping without a stone/backpacking absolutely 1st. Staying in a hotel/cabin/airb&b/wall tent with stone and day hunting then 4th.

Also fitness plays a roll, elk will be done lower during 4th so it's an easier hunt.

Depends on the unit and where and how your gonna hunt. Lots of great first season hunts, not as many great 4th season hunts. Unless you have some particular knowledge of an area or unit.

We got a 1st season pic, here's a 4th season pic.

uc

Thanks for that 4th season picture. While it does look like it may have its difficulties dealing with the snow, I can see how elk are a lot easier to spot with that white background

Keep in my 1st season can also be pretty nasty. Last season was crazy cold for a backpack camp and we had to scratch our original plan because the roads were a mess. This is more likely to be the case but just be sure to have a couple options in your back pocket. First rifle is a cool time to be in the woods. There really hasn't been any firearm pressure at that point and you have the chance to catch some rut activity. If it's cold and the snow flies, however, November can be quite productive.

Keep in my 1st season can also be pretty nasty. Last season was crazy cold for a backpack camp and we had to scratch our original plan because the roads were a mess. This is more likely to be the case but just be sure to have a couple options in your back pocket. First rifle is a cool time to be in the woods. There really hasn't been any firearm pressure at that point and you have the chance to catch some rut activity. If it's cold and the snow flies, however, November can be quite productive.

I always try to have a couple backup spots that can be accessed via pavement, just in case things go sideways.

Also, remember that the 4th season next year is going to be later than it has been.

I would like to do a 4th season hunt in CO myself, for the fact as its after a majority of my other hunts, and Im not afraid of the cold or snow. If i can handle Minnesota weather Colorados 4th season should be a breeze...

If i can handle Minnesota weather Colorados 4th season should be a breeze...

I realize you are joking... but... yeah... it's different.
On the flip side, I thought growing up in CO that I was prepared for whatever Vermont, where I went to college, could throw at me... holy smokes the ice out there is on a whole different level. I'd was unprepared for the fact that ice was a form of precipitation.

I haven't done a winter in MN, but I think the main thing that gets people out west is how quick the weather changes and how that effects roads. You might drive back in 20 miles on dirt road that is totally dry, temp is in the 60s no weather on the radar, you make camp go to bed. The next morning at 6am there 24 inches of snow on the ground, but it got cold so the road is drive able, you decide to go hunting and get an elk down at 8am. At 2pm you hop in your truck and the temp is now 65 again, all the snow has melted the roads are the nastiest muddy gumbo you could imagine, and no matter what rig you have you are stuck there at camp until the road freezes or drys out... which could be several days.

Last edited:
Yep, I've had a couple of 3rd season hunts where the roads were only drive-able when frozen. Otherwise it was hub deep mud only passable with chains on all 4 wheels and then just barely.

Ive experienced those awful snow melts and the roads that are complete garbage, Im talking about the cold and snow, its a hard bet to find a place with shittier weather than Minnesota.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back