Yeti GOBOX Collection

1st timers!

yesac104

My buddies and I will be making our first Elk trip to Colorado for the second hunting season in 2019. We are camping in a wall tent for the entire season so we will have lots of gear. But my question is, are there one or more items that you folks wish you would have brought on your first trip? I know most people forget or don't even think about bringing certain items on their first trip and with us being our first time Elk hunting I'm sure we will fall into this category. Thanks in advance and and advice is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: CB1
Biggest thing for me is to make sure you can sleep comfortably and dress comfortably. Cot, pad, good bag, pillow. Several changes of clothes for either layering or just putting on something fresh.

A shower system is nice also. Mine is simply a pump spray bottle like you'd use to spray weeds. Heat up water on the stove, put it in your spray bottle, quick/cheap shower.

It being your first time, bring everything you think you may need especially because you're wall tenting it. You'll quickly learn what you actually use and what you don't. Like others have said a good nights sleep is important, so bring anything that will help in that regard. There are a plethora of gear lists online. It's nice to have a book or be able to listen to a podcast while winding down for bed. Also, ear plugs if anyone is a snorer.

Baby wipes. If you don’t have a shower system they are clutch for a good wipe down after hunting all day. I think you know which areas of the body I’m talking about 😷

hahaha that would be bad! lets hope we don't forget that. Hopefully mother nature was good to you and blessed you with warm weather!

It was pretty rough for a couple days. Teens for lows and 5 or 6 inches of snow. But we managed with a couple little propane heaters. But we won't forget it again. One of those lessons learned lol

My buddies and I will be making our first Elk trip to Colorado for the second hunting season in 2019. We are camping in a wall tent for the entire season so we will have lots of gear. But my question is, are there one or more items that you folks wish you would have brought on your first trip? I know most people forget or don't even think about bringing certain items on their first trip and with us being our first time Elk hunting I'm sure we will fall into this category. Thanks in advance and and advice is greatly appreciated.

I actually had the opposite problem. I planned for Armageddon and found that I didn't need a third of the stuff I brought.

I'll second the recommendation for wet wipes and a shower system of some sorts. I built one similar to what LCH described and added a shower spray nozzle to it. At the very least a pot to warm water in and a wash cloth. Its a giant morale booster for me to be able to freshen up every few days.

I use all that stuff down here in TX, so it comes in handy anywhere.

I agree on most of the stuff, I killed my cow elk in my slippers one time. Water treatment system, tire chains, good shovel, Clorox wipes and 6 12inch peace's of 2x8 or 10s for cribbing.

550 cord to string up your wet clothes. A boot dryer system, it’s really nice to have warm dry boots in the morning. You can rig up some 1” or 2” PVC with a 90degree angle at the end then about 4-5” piece with a bunch of holes. Get a little battery fan piped into it and put it near your heat source.

Reactions: LCH
You'll need a chainsaw also, for camp wood and removing downed trees, keep it in your truck.
You can cut standing dead, or downed for use in camp and to make your campsite safer.
We also use a LED lantern. It lasts well over a week's hunt and will make no fumes. One set of batteries does it. I picked up a second little cheapy one last fall for low light, when you don't want to light up the whole tent.
Get the unscented baby wipes.

Make sure you can sleep comfortably, and have good boots. The rest will take care of itself! Being well rested is the key to getting up and hitting it hard day after day, and that's what OTC elk hunting is all about.

Was gonna say baby wipes. But looked like someone got that already. Deff bring baby wipes, foot care stuff. I get blisters pretty easy, I bring glacier gel blister kit everywhere. Hiking, hunting, rock climbing.

Back