Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1st Timer

cadman59501

So I know that I want to put in for a special tag this year. This will be my 1st time ever, and I know that it is rather unlikely that I will draw, but it is also my luck if I put in for multiple species I will def draw atleast 2 of them and logistically that wont really work. I have set my sites on trying to get the sheep permit 1st but I also dont want to lose any more time in the bonus points race for moose, goat, or bison. Anybody have any advice for a 1st timer?

a lot of guys put in for 20-35 tags per year around the west. If you barely dip your toe in, or hold back because of the unrealistic concern for drawing to many tags at once you will guarantee never drawing much of anything. Put in for all the animals and states you may ever want to, within your budget, not time constraint. If you do your homework and are truly putting in for very hard to draw tags, in states with bonus/preference points, you are almost certain to draw no tags at all. But you gotta put in your time and money building points and trying to draw.

If you live in Glasgow, MT, apply for all. I suspect if you pull off the lottery-like feat of drawing more than one of those tags, you will have a lot of help in making it fit your schedule. With the big sheep die off this winter, your/my sheep tag odds just went from terrible to something near 1 divided by infinity.

Thanks guys thats what I was leaning towards guess I just needed somebody else to tell me that my original thinking was ridiculous. And I suppose with most of the sheep gone over in the western part of the state everybody will try their hand on this side of the state.

With the big sheep die off this winter, your/my sheep tag odds just went from terrible to something near 1 divided by infinity.

I don't know how big of a difference its going to make with the state as a whole.

That said, I've always put in for a unit close to town, and it's the only one that didn't get hit by the die off. It's going to absolutely sky rocket this year. Kills me because I know this unit well, and would love to hunt it, but know it's kind of stupid to put in knowing it'll be the hardest tag in the state to draw, when it's not even close to the highest quality unit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back